Abbeydale grange

I loved playing football until I went to Abbeydale and had to endure one of Dick Bate's PE

lessons.He turned every PE lesson into one of his ego trips,I can see him now stroking his tash wearing his track suit telling me to pass the ball through two traffic cones with the inside of my foot.I learnt how to pass a ball when I was around eight years of age using a tennis ball but he knew better.I always chuckle when I think of him now,Dick Bate sounds like a Viz charactor.

There was something weird about [Master] Bates and Haig the way they liked to dish out corporal punishment to an entire class at a time for one minor misdemeanour. They came into the showers too often aswell.

1973 - 1978 great bloke "vince cooper" RIP. very surprised no one mentioned diane woodwad english teacher always sat with her legs open and wore stockings , happy days hated it at the time though

did any one from here go to abbeydale grange david blunkets wife teached there you st to play on the bank at playtime you st to play charlies angels think one of pe teachers was mr hague and miss manders if anyone can remember anyone i was there 83 i think

So they didn't teach English back then? :hihi:

There was something weird about [Master] Bates and Haig the way they liked to dish out corporal punishment to an entire class at a time for one minor misdemeanour. They came into the showers too often aswell.

Mr Dick Bate had a very brief stint as manager of Southend United FC in 1987, not sure how he landed that job...oh hang on...may have been referred by a certain Mr Wilkinson :gag:

scroll down the page in the following link

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/HistoryDetail/0,,10444~1028927,00.html

I was at AG in the 70s anyone remember jimmy atkin, charlie bones, andy wightman and co? happy days :)

See Jimmy sometimes drinking on Woodseats.

Mr Dick Bate had a very brief stint as manager of Southend United FC in 1987, not sure how he landed that job...oh hang on...may have been referred by a certain Mr Wilkinson :gag:

scroll down the page in the following link

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/HistoryDetail/0,,10444~1028927,00.html

Here he is in all his glory Michael, he's not changed.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b9fygZXm9c

Edited by websters gue
missing h

What great times at the Grange (not), hated the place, upper school, lower school and the library in the middle of nowhere.

Those cross country runs were a nightmare, I remember once when so many people bunked off a PE lesson on four people turned up.

Bet you was the little fat kid who emptied the canteen of pies at lunch time and always forgot your PE kit and brought a note from mummy saying you had a bad cold.

What great times at the Grange (not), hated the place, upper school, lower school and the library in the middle of nowhere.

Those cross country runs were a nightmare, I remember once when so many people bunked off a PE lesson on four people turned up.

the library in lower school was on floor 2 just opposite the woodwork and metalwork workshops... (counting the level with the cloakrooms as level 1)

(marked "a" in green here:-

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=53.348264,-1.496861&daddr=&hl=en&geocode=&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=19&sll=53.348291,-1.496919&sspn=0.00118,0.002411&ie=UTF8&ll=53.348291,-1.496919&spn=0.00118,0.002411&t=h&z=19 )

so how that is the middle of nowhere is beyond me...

or do you mean THIS building?

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=53.348509,-1.494952&daddr=939+Abbeydale+Rd,+Norton,+Sheffield+S7+2,+UK&geocode=%3BCSifSd2nGjM_FUoILgMdpjXp_ymXZ79RT4J5SDEzbXRv_iLatg&hl=en&mra=mi&mrsp=0&sz=18&sll=53.348489,-1.494865&sspn=0.00236,0.004823&ie=UTF8&ll=53.348447,-1.494516&spn=0,0.002411&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.348115,-1.494243&panoid=9zucCQMt3VBeXckaTgrqEw&cbp=12,306.18,,2,-8.06

Which was the 6th-form library when I was there... and the horrendous, and arduous other-side-of-the-city, distance of 200 feet from the Lower-school building. What an ordeal...

(maybe we were just hardier in the 1970's and didn't turn a hair at having to walk between Lower School and Upper School for classes?)

100% correct with your locations PT, this is how the cross country worked start at just above the art block (lower school) through woods to upper school through the fields towards cartonknowle rd and right round and back and if you give your all and fineshed 1st or 100th Mr haugue(rip) would be happy

Edited by A. Woodward

you'd have been there same time as me, dianaa,

I have an idea who you might be, and that I know you...

you weren't in 1, 2 and 3-G were you, in the first three years?

yes thats me