Abbeydale grange

did any one from here go to abbeydale grange david blunkets wife teached there you st to play on the bank at playtime you st to play charlies angels think one of pe teachers was mr hague and miss manders if anyone can remember anyone i was there 83 i think

i attended there from 1975-8.

I remember Mr Marshall, Miss Williams, Mr Longley, and Mr Ramsbottom, who were teachers.

in my time there the bank by lower school was often out of bounds.

PT

i remember mr ramsbottom he was my teacher and miss williams and mr longley used to get caine or stick in them days conpared to today now they want to ban smacking used to have art in mobile on bank remember his name ? also mr fairclough who taught art

Edited by Damon

Originally posted by Damon

Wahey! Mr Fairclough is my dad!

I went to Abbeydale from 1978 til '85 - I seem to remember having half a term of art with dad while I was in the first year. It was in one of those wartime pre-fabs in the 6th form centre. It was a bit weird being taught by your own father, I have to say. My mates were always trying to embarrass me by going on about girls I supposedly fancied.

those prefabs were bloomin' dire, weren't they? We used to have homecrafts, like cooking and sewing in one of the prefabs.

and I absolutely hated the Gym' in the 6th form centre. we always seemed to have PE in the 6th F-C in rotten winter (!) It was always stinking FREEZING there!

We were on our way to PE there, mucking about, playing, one winter, when I was hit, in the face with a "snow"ball, thrown by a classmate, who didn't realise it was so hard, and icy. I had a very badly cut face.

I remember having french conversation, in the old house (the actual old house, the grange, not Holt House) in a really poky room, right up in the attic, (or so it seemed)

I always thought holt house looked really pretty, in the garden-y thing that surrounded it. I believe that it is demolished, now, and is housing.... such a pity.

It is about 26-odd years, now, since I attended Abbeydale Grange School, and some of the memories are a bit cloudy, now.

i have heard that the building on the bank between lower school and 6th F-C which was the 6th -F library is now the library for the entire school, these days. I liked the lower school library, I spent a lot of time in there, studying.

I remember the class screaming with fear, in the 1st or 2nd year, when there were some gales, which lifted the roof of the top-floor classroom we were in for a geography lesson.

I remember the wood at the top of the bank being almost permanemtly out of bounds, except during the dreaded Cross-country runs, when we'd run round the upper field by the hockey pitches, up to the pavillion at the very top, (where the cricket pitches were), and then down the Hastings Road side of the field, through the wood, round the lower school art block and finally back up to upper school. I hated x-country! ugh!

PT

Abbeydale Grange lost it's 6th form then the upper school and so is now only the lower school on Hastings road and the old 6th form library. The 6th form buildings, both of the old houses and all the 50's prefab buildings have all gone.

I remember Mr Howe physics teacher bellowing out of the windows at people supposedly doing the 'cross country run' but who preferred to walk, not after he shouted though.

Many good teachers who were for the most part held in respect, who remembers Mr Chatterton who could throw board chalk with such unerring accuracy?

Mr Cooper, nobody wanted to be told to go and sit outside his office.

P.E. teachers, Hague, Bates, Wilkinson, remembered but not fondly

Miss Nichols, English teacher a great teacher and pretty to boot.

School days the best days of your life?

Guest teebee

I can once remember Mr Jepson walking through the woods one lunch time just to catch all the smokers out, and I can remeber about 20 kids running down the banking to the lower school in the hopes that he hadnt seen you.. I know this because I was one of them...

i went to ags left 1987. went from 1st year to 5th with pashley, malcolm norrie,raymond. miss downing was our form tutor for 3 years she was the best teacher you could ever have.

i left 1985....surly people remember pogo,kerkhoff,wilsy,naylor ect....the good old days....it would be fun to meat up with old friends again....

I know Pashley, Darren Smith, the Askquiths, Andrew Grayson, Katy Moran, Rodger Webster, Eddie

i remember the names Darren Smith, the Askquiths....can not put face's to names

did any one from here go to abbeydale grange david blunkets wife teached there you st to play on the bank at playtime you st to play charlies angels think one of pe teachers was mr hague and miss manders if anyone can remember anyone i was there 83 i think

I went from 79 - 84. I broke my arm on the bank in the first year and Mr Cousins and mr Dacey looked after me. I broke my other arm in the woods between lower and upper school in the 5th year. They're alright now though.