Abbeydale grange

Went to Grange 1969-1974.

The boys were made to do Scottish dancing as well as the girls,we were told it would improve our footwork when playing rugby!

Also remember hiding under the steps leading into Millhouses Park when Jeppo came hunting for absconders at lunch time.He was stood directly above us,surveying the horizon.

Form teachers were Miss Todd/Miss Sproull (1Q)

Mr Pashley (3G)

Mr Pollard (4+5S)

Our lessons at upper school were mixed with forms H & C.

When did it all change? I went to Abbeydale Boys from 1960 - 1966. There was non of this upper school and lower school. And girls!!!!! They were some sort of aliens beyond the woods at Abbeydale Girls or Grange.

I think we were the first to attend as a comprehensive in 1969.The lower school was on Hastings Rd where we spent the first 3 years,then up to the Upper School beyond the woods for 2 years,then 6th form(but not for me).And it was definitely mixed(bike sheds!)

Mr Dick Bate had a very brief stint as manager of Southend United FC in 1987, not sure how he landed that job...oh hang on...may have been referred by a certain Mr Wilkinson :gag:

scroll down the page in the following link

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/HistoryDetail/0,,10444~1028927,00.html

Mr Bate in action more recently Michael.

Edited by websters gue
link

When did it all change? I went to Abbeydale Boys from 1960 - 1966. There was non of this upper school and lower school. And girls!!!!! They were some sort of aliens beyond the woods at Abbeydale Girls or Grange.

I was an "alien beyond the woods" at that time!!

Looking at the threads from arou d 2011 I am seeing a number of people I recognise, Brendan Murphy (Brenblade) and Jawaid Afsar (Afsar).

I'm looking to make contact with anyone who was in

2G in 1976/7

3G in 1977/8

4R in 1978/9

5G in 1979/80

Or anyone else in the year generally.

People I can recall - Brendan Murphy, Jawaid Afsar, Ian Sharpe, Peter Hickinson Daniel Cornwell, Steven Darrington, Karen Finney, Tracey Nicholson, Ruth Hawkesworth, Lisa Lorenz, Linda Needes, Fiona Machin, Angela Bower, Angela Barrows, Andy Grayson. I could go on.

Anyone on here?

Looking at the threads from arou d 2011 I am seeing a number of people I recognise, Brendan Murphy (Brenblade) and Jawaid Afsar (Afsar).

I'm looking to make contact with anyone who was in

2G in 1976/7

3G in 1977/8

4R in 1978/9

5G in 1979/80

Or anyone else in the year generally.

People I can recall - Brendan Murphy, Jawaid Afsar, Ian Sharpe, Peter Hickinson Daniel Cornwell, Steven Darrington, Karen Finney, Tracey Nicholson, Ruth Hawkesworth, Lisa Lorenz, Linda Needes, Fiona Machin, Angela Bower, Angela Barrows, Andy Grayson. I could go on.

Anyone on here?

yes i was in that class, with Linda needes Diane Milne, Lynne Jackson, Susan Williams, Brendan Murphy, Mark Lithgow, Duane Richie, the three angelas:- Burrows Barrows and Bower, tina o brien Liza wragg Paul rose, Stephen copley Helen Phillips, Steven Williams, joy Waller

Brendan Murphy here. Yup, still around. Who are you The Blurred Ma and Plain Talker?

Hi Plain Talker,

I was in that same class as you and Brendan etc. my name is Andrew Plant, but I'm not 100% sure who you are?