Phone Contract Advice....

I have a contract on o2, had it for about 7 months but ive seen a phone id like to change to. ive contacted o2 and they say I have to have it for 12months. But ive clearly told them I want to cancel this phone and take out another 12 months contract with them but they wont have any of it? Any ideas how I cld get around it ;-):thumbsup:

Can't you just switch to the lowest tariff and then cancel and pay the remainder of the contract?

I've heard horror stories about O2's customer services.... :loopy:

Which is part of the reason I refuse to even contemplate going on contract unless I ever get a job which warrants more use of my phone than I can afford on pay as you go at a tenner a month's credit.

Well I dont have a problem paying a contract price. I just dont see the problem in what im wanting to do. Its not like im wanting to cancel the contract and do a runner. Im just wanting a new 12month contract with this new phone? maybe cancelling the direct debits?

Im on the Talk 300 Offpeak with 500 txt messages and other little bits. which is £20. I dont fancy paying something like £160 just to cancel the contract.

The phone operators have to pay for each phone they supply you with. The way they recoup this cost is by the contract you pay for.

If you want upgrade mid contract the chances are they either wont have recouped all the cost. The ONLY way you'll do this is by:

A) Buying yourself out of the remainder of your contract and taking a out a new one (means new number and everything).

B) Just buying the phone as a pay as you go or SIM free and using that.

C) Having two contracts running at the same time.

There are no two ways about it, you'll have to serve the term first before you upgrade. And when you upgrade you prolly wont get the new phone for free. I want to upgrade to a Nokia 6600 (currently Nokia 7250) and my contract is now up for renewal.

They've said I can have a max of £100 towards an upgrade but to upgrade to the 6600 it's £180 (so T-mobile say) and I'd have to pay the last £80.

However if I take out a new contract with Fones4U I can have the handset for free :loopy: .... whats all that about? Just means I can't take my number with me. Stupid, just stupid.

I don't mind having a new number, just the hassle of telling people. So at the end of the day I'm just gonna cancel and get a new contract.

What I meant is switch to a tarrif that is the cheapest with no talktime/texts etc. Something that is very expensive for calls but the lowest possible monthly charge. Then cancel and it should work out cheaper.

Originally posted by DaBouncer

The phone operators have to pay for each phone they supply you with. The way they recoup this cost is by the contract you pay for.

If you want upgrade mid contract the chances are they either wont have recouped all the cost. The ONLY way you'll do this is by:

A) Buying yourself out of the remainder of your contract and taking a out a new one (means new number and everything).

B) Just buying the phone as a pay as you go or SIM free and using that.

C) Having two contracts running at the same time.

There are no two ways about it, you'll have to serve the term first before you upgrade. And when you upgrade you prolly wont get the new phone for free. I want to upgrade to a Nokia 6600 (currently Nokia 7250) and my contract is now up for renewal.

They've said I can have a max of £100 towards an upgrade but to upgrade to the 6600 it's £180 (so T-mobile say) and I'd have to pay the last £80.

However if I take out a new contract with Fones4U I can have the handset for free :loopy: .... whats all that about? Just means I can't take my number with me. Stupid, just stupid.

I don't mind having a new number, just the hassle of telling people. So at the end of the day I'm just gonna cancel and get a new contract.

I was with Singlepoint and when it came up for my contract renewal I wanted a new handset they said I had to pay quite a bit of money. It worked out much cheaper for me to cancel the contract and sign up with a new one. Where is the logic in that?

I then signed up with an agreement from another place and ported my number thinking I was well rid of Singlepoint only for a letter to come through my door from Singlepoint saying thanks for signing back up. I had signed another agreement through another company and still ended up been back with Singlepoint without realising.

If you end up buying a phone sim free then http://www.expansys.com have a very large selection to choose from. I can have an upgrade in about a months time and i'm kinda in the same position as Db,tho i think i'll be staying with vodafone and just paying a bit for my new phone. (SE K700)

Does anyone know how much it costs to port a number?

Cheers:thumbsup:

Originally posted by mr craig

If you end up buying a phone sim free then http://www.expansys.com have a very large selection to choose from. I can have an upgrade in about a months time and i'm kinda in the same position as Db,tho i think i'll be staying with vodafone and just paying a bit for my new phone. (SE K700)

Thats the phone I want, the ericsson K700! The dogs bo**ocks!:thumbsup:

Yeah, just ring your previous network up and ask them to send you a pack number, then once you've got that, ring your current network up, tell them the pack number and they'll probably do the rest (depends how competent or otherwise they are).