Sign in to follow this  

Norfolk Park & Herdings tower blocks

Hello :D

My name is Jonathan Smith - I'm an editor for a website called http://www.skyscrapers.com... we compile information on high-rise buildings (i.e. anything over 12 storeys) around the world.

I've been researching Sheffield's tower blocks, from the central library etc., but there are a few bits of info that I need and can't find, so I was wondering if anyone on here could help me.

I'm trying to find out the addresses of the now-demolished Norfolk Park tower blocks; Bankside, Beechview, Cliffe, East Bank, Fitzalan, Granville, Guildford, Howard, Jervis, Mandrake, Shrewsbury, Spring & Talbot.

I know the addresses of Grange & Mickley, the two still standing (for now!), and I know which streets had tower blocks on them... but I can't match up tower block names to those addresses!

So if anyone knows or can remember the addresses of any of the tower blocks (i.e. Grange is 1-251 Tower Drive, Mickley is 1-251 Beldon Road), I'd be extremely grateful if they could post them on here, or e-mail them to me, so that I can complete skyscrapers.com's Sheffield section (which contains ~80 high-rise buildings).

The other problem I'm having is finding the original names of the 3 tower blocks at Raeburn Place, Herdings. 1 was demolished and 2 were refurbished and renamed Queen Anne & Queen Elizabeth Court, but does anybody know what they were called originally, or what their exact addresses were?

Finally, if anybody has any photos of any of Sheffield's now-demolished tower blocks, especially those at Norfolk Park, I'd love to upload them to our site.

Otherwise, please pay our Sheffield section a visit, here:

http://www.skyscrapers.com/re/en/wm/ci/100641/

A list of Sheffield's tallest buildings can be found here:

http://www.skyscrapers.com/re/en/wm/ci/100641/bu/sk/li/2-2-1/

I have some frame by frame piccys (Digital)of one of the Norfolk Park blocks being demolished, let me know if you want them.

The piccys I have are of top of Kenninghall Rd, not sure of names they were demolished about 2/3 years ago ( 2 blocks that were behind the Earl Marshall Pub, East bank Rd)

I'd love the photos... but I need to know the names of the tower blocks before I can upload them!

If you can remember the date, to the month if possible but the year might do, then it would be a big help. Thanks.

Working on it for you -

Beechview=Guildford Drive

Bankside=Guildford Close

The rest are on their way....

It's difficult, as everyone used to call them by their colours :lol:

Laura

Is tower block spotting trainspotting for the less agile?

Thanks Laura... knowing the colours as well might be useful, just as a point of reference and to help me identify them in photos.

@chrisb - actually it's the other way round. Trains travel to trainspotters, but tower-blocks... :roll:

Bankside=Guildford Close

Beechview=Guildford Drive

Cliffe=Kenninghall

East Bank=Park Grange Mount

Fitzalan=Guildford View

Granville=Guildford Avenue

Guildford=Guildford Avenue

Howard=Guildford Drive

Jervis=Park Grange Drive

Mondrake=Samuel Road

Shrewsbury=Guildford???

Spring=Park Grange Mount

Talbot=Kenninghall

PS including the two still standing, you are missing one - there were 16??

Laura

i can see a tower block from norton college. what is that one?

Thanks for that Laura... that has sorted a few out, but let me show you what I've got.

(btw, there were 15 blocks, not 16!)

1-251 Beldon Road - Mickley

1-251 Park Grange View - Jervis

2-252 Guildford Drive - Beechview

2-252 Guildford Close - Bankside

1-251 Beeches Drive - Mandrake

1-251 Tower Drive - Grange

Those are the ones I've managed to match up... here is what I figure for the rest:

- East Bank & Spring were both on Park Grange Mount, but does anybody know their numbers?

- Cliffe & Talbot were both on Kenninghall Mount, but again I don't know the numbers.

- Guildford & Shrewsbury were on Guildford View, but no numbers.

- The final three; Fitzalan, Granville & Howard were known as the St. Aidan's blocks. 1 was on St. Aidan's Drive, 1 was on St. Aidan's Close and 1 was on St. Aidan's Mount... but I don't know which was which!

Does this look about right?

i can see a tower block from norton college. what is that one?

If it's grey/white, it's Grange... if it's a mucky red/brown, it's Mickley.