Sign in to follow this  

Advice please on carpets

2 of my bedrooms need putting new carpets. 2 options:

1. carpet with a small layer of underlay-like material built-in(no separate underlay needed).

2. carpet with separate underlay.

The price for both options is more or less same but the carpet quality with the built-in underlay is not as good as the other one. Will the built-in underlay give the same strength as the separate underlay? I undertand fitting is different to each other for the above options, for eg. you don't use grippers for built-in underlays etc.

Can you help me to decide which option to go for.

Thanks

go for the separate - it sounds like you're being sold a foam backed carpet with a glorious over description with the 'built in underlay' line :suspect:

Have you done a search for 'carpet' btw? we've had a couple of horror stories this week on one particular retailer you may want to avoid ;)

A carpet with a decent seperate underlay should wear far better than one with, say, felt or rubber backing.

But in a bedroom, how noticeable that will be would be up for question...

We've got carpet tiles in the bedrooms - much better for playing on if we have kids, you can take one up and scrub it if necessary, or even completely replace it.

We got them from a clearance warehouse in Nottingham - genuine Heuga ones :)

I'd have thot, separate underlay would be better; but the carpet I get with the built-in underlay is of better quality and thats why I got confused which one to go for.

1. So you guys say to go with the separate underlay though the carpet quality is slightly inferior?

2. Any of you here with experience with carpet shop viz. 'carpetweb' in Crookes?

I think that's the one with a thread all of it's own, and litigation in progress ;)

Check the old threads. Sometimes you'll find it spelled 'carpet web' with a space in it ;)

............ if we have kids, ...........

Oh my God!

I hope that they are expensive/quality tiles!

The rest of the house is going to get trashed/drawn on.

Try and keep your bedroom as an oasis.

Thanks for the info; I didn't realise they are that c**p. I paid them a deposit though; can I get it back?

Can you suggest any quality carpet shops for good price and workmanship please.

I read some people saying buying underlay online; it saves money and can have good quality underlays; can you suggest any good place to look at online for underlays? If you can suggest some good brands that would be very helpful.

Thanks guys