What are people's views on the Police?

75% no good. The 25% that are doing a good job unfortunately have to take the orders from the corrupt bosses. My opinion as stated in other forums on the pointless topic.

Actually i have a problem which I think some uneducated people have too.. I never know what is legal and what isn't! I think the police should hand out some 'do's and don'ts' leaflets giving us some advice on the matter.

They could even contain stuff like this:

"It is legal for a male to urinate in public, as long it is on the rear wheel of his motor vehicle and his right hand is on the vehicle."

Just so we know like!

I know u Mr Joe ;)

I beleive so, if you are a bus driver....

Three weeks ago, someone I know had her car stolen during the early hours. That same day she was to attend her Sister's funeral. Well yes, it does happen you may say - but read on. Her brother was found in the car some hours later, drugged up to the eyeballs. No driving licence, so therefore no insurance. Drugs and needles were found with him. He was removed from the car by police, who arrested him. He escaped them and the police helicopter was called out to find him - which it did. He gave a false address and the police roused the occupants of it at 3am. They have an autistic son, who was scared out of his wits by the police presence. You may say 'serve him right'. No such luck. His sister has been told by South Yorkshire Police that he will not be charged with anything. This includes theft of a vehicle, drugged to the eyeballs whilst driving it, escaping police custody and calling out the police helicopter. They say it is because it is a family dispute. She has also been told it will cost her £200.00 to get her car back. Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention he is a known police informer, but I don't suppose that makes any difference.

Three weeks ago, someone I know had her car stolen during the early hours. That same day she was to attend her Sister's funeral. Well yes, it does happen you may say - but read on. Her brother was found in the car some hours later, drugged up to the eyeballs. No driving licence, so therefore no insurance. Drugs and needles were found with him. He was removed from the car by police, who arrested him. He escaped them and the police helicopter was called out to find him - which it did. He gave a false address and the police roused the occupants of it at 3am. They have an autistic son, who was scared out of his wits by the police presence. You may say 'serve him right'. No such luck. His sister has been told by South Yorkshire Police that he will not be charged with anything. This includes theft of a vehicle, drugged to the eyeballs whilst driving it, escaping police custody and calling out the police helicopter. They say it is because it is a family dispute. She has also been told it will cost her £200.00 to get her car back. Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention he is a known police informer, but I don't suppose that makes any difference.

if the police caught him with the aid of the copter.... why did they rouse the occupants of the "wrong address"? surely by this time he was already in custody?

In addition to this the police have to go on the address that a person gives them and often have no way of knowing if this is the correct address. Its unfortunate that the autistic son was scared, but if the police think a wanted criminal is at an address, surely you would rather they try to arrest this person!?

I would also suggest that you dont know a lot of the story and you have most likely omitted parts of it to make the police look more negative. For one even if the rest of the crimes were dropped, i find it hard to believe that he wouldnt be charged with "escaping police custody".

The fact that it is a famliy dispute is not relevant, is there a possibility that the sister didnt want her brother charged??? as this would explain why he was "let off", either that or there is also a chance that the CPS wouldnt run it for whatever reason.

A lot of people cant make the distinction between the police and the CPS. In a lot of cases it is the CPS that decide not to go ahead with a case, then the poice are the ones that are bad mouthed for not going ahead with a case.... when they would like nothing more than to do so.

My view changed for ever in 1984. I now have very little respect for the police.

Well they look Fit in uniform, but thats about it. I have no other opinion on them.

Actually saying that, I was in Leeds and the city centre was all blocked off, and I saw two coppers, and both wer really helpful and friendly..So yeh majority are probably alright.

Some try and interogate you for nothing though! I've experienced that! Some a very nosey too!!!

if the police caught him with the aid of the copter.... why did they rouse the occupants of the "wrong address"? surely by this time he was already in custody?

In addition to this the police have to go on the address that a person gives them and often have no way of knowing if this is the correct address. Its unfortunate that the autistic son was scared, but if the police think a wanted criminal is at an address, surely you would rather they try to arrest this person!?

I would also suggest that you dont know a lot of the story and you have most likely omitted parts of it to make the police look more negative. For one even if the rest of the crimes were dropped, i find it hard to believe that he wouldnt be charged with "escaping police custody".

The fact that it is a famliy dispute is not relevant, is there a possibility that the sister didnt want her brother charged??? as this would explain why he was "let off", either that or there is also a chance that the CPS wouldnt run it for whatever reason.

A lot of people cant make the distinction between the police and the CPS. In a lot of cases it is the CPS that decide not to go ahead with a case, then the poice are the ones that are bad mouthed for not going ahead with a case.... when they would like nothing more than to do so.

You may suggest what you like. I am actually related to these people, and all I have put in my post is what they told me - nothing more - nothing less. Additionally, I have not left anything out. I doubt whether the CPS could make a decision the very same day. He actually gave another sister's address, and yes, having read your comment on that, I agree with you, as none of us can understand that part of it, unless the police thought he had more drugs at his abode. This was told me after we had all attended a funeral. I had asked where he was. I have no reason to want to make the police look negative, after all I am related to some, as my previous postings will confirm.

Police seem to be few and far between, the PCSO seems to be the norm around here.

We see in our village no police (unless in cars driving through) ,we have 1 PCSO to cover 2 villages a mile apart and she walks between both.

I'd like to see more proper police walking the village route simply the fact we are about 6 miles from the nearest police station, and as we all know the PCSO can't really do much without a proper police officer at the side.

Please remember i'm under Nottinghamshire Police.

I Think that they are a very good band.Sting's solo carer was also very good

Police seem to be few and far between, the PCSO seems to be the norm around here.

We see in our village no police (unless in cars driving through) ,we have 1 PCSO to cover 2 villages a mile apart and she walks between both.

I'd like to see more proper police walking the village route simply the fact we are about 6 miles from the nearest police station, and as we all know the PCSO can't really do much without a proper police officer at the side.

Please remember i'm under Nottinghamshire Police.

i'd suggest you write t oyur local MP expressing your views. It's the only way the goverment will listen. At the minute they are giving less and less money to the police and are not allowing them to recruit any more officers in the next 18 months (this is applicablt to SYP)!

I think some of them are a waste of space and need locking up. Some are a credit to the profession and society.

Some of their work is good (catching violent people, sex offenders (not the guy who shagged a pushbike though), thieves and abusive people).

Some of it I find pointless, like busting people who grow, sell and use substances (unless it is being sold as something it is not i.e. adulterated), there are others, basically any crime which is victimless.

I think for the time being many of them should be laid off/sent to work as builders in order to create more prisons so that there is a point in their proffession.