Tunnels under Sheffield

HI Rincewind

I cannot confirm it but it is no secret that many halls had tunnels connecting them to places of sanctury...just in case they were invaded by another lord and hadto make an escape.

Moon

Originally posted by Cycleracer

I believe there is a tunnel from The Sheffield castle and goes under the Pitsmoor estate linking the old castle that used to stand in the area were Pye Bank School and the Pitsmoor estate is now.

where do you mean by the 'pitsmoor estate'? I'd have thought you are referring to the old mineworks which certainly run under a lot of the area - not what one normally means by tunnels tho.

I thought that the buiding at tankersley was for burning money for the royal mint ( I remember my dad telling me when i was little hes a retired fireman and has had access to the building) they burn all the old bank notes there and its mainly underground

sheffield star newspapers reported some years back that a tunnel ran from the cross keys pub at handsworth to manor/sheffield castles,it was, after investigation,bricked up.the cross keys pub used to belong to handsworth church, possible mary queen of scots connection ?

Originally posted by Lucy81

i also belive there are some in hillsbrough under the barracks that were used to store weapons, and of course there is the dundgeons in the garrison, i presume there is tunnels under there also.L (",)

Just to say that I've heard this one too... that there's a tunnel from the Barracks to the old Boys Club across the road - which was some sort of medical block or something...? The staff at the Boys Club (now the 393 Club) MAY be able to offer some assistance....? Or possibly staff at Morrisions - they aint going to be tied by the same issues with regard to confidentiality, surely?

Originally posted by darkstardust

And on this note - has anyone ever seen Threads? A film about the cold war IIRC and the part Sheffield would have in it including the scenes of Sheffield being attacked with a nuclear bomb (shortly after RAF Finningly).

Rather worrying to say the least whey you are shown it in school...

And just to let you know, I have Threads on DVD - it's still available (I think from BBC Website), and still very scary.

Of course, if you 'oomans want to start digging around below ground you'll need an authorisation chit from us...

My ex’boyfriends -Best Mate......

-lived and worked at 'The Old Queens Head,' for about 7/8yrs.

(His Parent's were Tenant’s /Landlord’s -In 1980’s)

He was convinced that tunnels ran to both Manor & Sheffield Castle.

(Sure he’d partly been down the tunnel underneath the Pub at some point!')

He was responsible for Cellar/Bar duties -and told me he was absolutely 'terrified,' of having to step foot in to that Cellar!

Also said, particular areas were places of frequent unpleasant happenings

-near the tunnel entrance (in cellar) +1 room in particular.

Happenings such as:

-Foul /pungent, horrible smells appearing from nowhere, sudden cold spots appearing -actually said felt he’d been touched! A baby crying …..quite often in middle of night…….Allsorts.

In all honesty ....His hair was totally grey when 30yrs old!

(Claimed -because of living at pub!)

I was fascinated by the whole subject, but after a short time, he’d want to close the subject.

Could see, he was still shook up by experience’s living at the Pub. - This was 5yr on!

He Prob was aware, Peep’s would think he’d …. ‘Gone Bonkers,

-‘Properly Cockled it!’ -Having chats with Elvis regular & stuff to that effect!

Haven’t seen him for a couple of years. Been thinking of dropping in recently anyhow & catching up!

If I get back in touch ok, will ask him to post thread if poss.

-I Know there’s much interest on the subject!

Must say, It’s common knowledge, ‘The Queens Head’ has extensive, active history!

It’s noticeable there’s lot’s of different Interpretation’s/ & rumours too!

Most are familiar with / heard about the ‘Tunnels’ that apparently connect several locations -including ‘The Queen’s Head!’

My Mum’s talked about ‘Secret Network of Tunnels,’ often over the years.

She grew up on Manor & Park estates. So did my Gran!

-As kid’s, told stories & surround history in Legend & Myth themselves!

I myself have always heard the tunnel entrance; to ‘The Queens Head,’ collapsed -crushing several people to death, as they tried to use it as an escape route.

-Then again, always heard that, Mary Queen of Scott’s was actually ‘Captured’ within the Pub/Tunnel entrance too???

Angel x

errrmmm .....

Iv'e Seen how long my last thread is!

-Be like reading: -'War & Peace!'

x

Oooh, put me on the list too!

Does anyone know anything about the underground passages that purportedly link the Old Queen’s Head pub to Sheffield Castle and the Manor? Also there are supposed to be tunnels between Bishop’s House and Meersbrook Hall, Beauchief Abbey and Millhouses Corn Mill (the entrance being in one of the cellars on Knaresborough Road), as well as one from Heeley Hall to various places including the Manor. I guess if there are any they will be bricked up – but it would be nice to find one to explore…