Tunnels under Sheffield

I've heard off of one of the Supertram conductors that there is an underground railway station underneath what was the Co-op on Angel Street. Apparently, Co-op wanted to get ahead of the rest of the shops in Sheffield, with their station being the 'hub' of the network. Apparently, the network was going to follow the valleys; like the sheaf valley, Ecclesall Rd, Hillsborough, Attercliffe, - you get the drift.

I know from when I used to be a guard on the Peace Gardens that there is a nuclear air-raid shellter underneath the townhall/Peace Gardens area - though I don't know where the entrance is. I heard from the supervisors that the entrance was somewhere in the grounds of that chapel that's on Norfolk Street opposite The Monk - but, that's just hear-say.

I know for fact there is a massive network of underground tunnels; sewers, escape tunnels (Mary Queen of Scots), services tunnels, 'apparent' rail-network, underground rivers that have been covered by development e.g. Sheaf River. According to what I've heard, it's possible to walk completely from one end of the city centre to the other, and from top to bottom too - all underground.

It makes me think, like in New York there are homeless people that live in the underground rail network, that whether there are homeless people or ciminal etc that live in the underground network of Sheffield?

I can't help but think some of the often-cited examples are a little fanciful (the purported tunnel from the Old Queens Head to the Manor would have had to have been dug deep beneath the river that lies beneath the station...), but I've seen plenty of good evidence for many tunnels and bunkers on "that other" Sheffield forum (*). Interesting about the Co-op one.

Certainly many buried rivers and streams amongst the sewers, and some now are flowing in the sewers. Check out this map of mine:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/u/0/ms?msid=215827725556475405514.0004da13ce335b9c39834&msa=0&dg=feature

*http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/356-tunnels-under-sheffield/

I've heard off of one of the Supertram conductors that there is an underground railway station underneath what was the Co-op on Angel Street. Apparently, Co-op wanted to get ahead of the rest of the shops in Sheffield, with their station being the 'hub' of the network. Apparently, the network was going to follow the valleys; like the sheaf valley, Ecclesall Rd, Hillsborough, Attercliffe, - you get the drift.

I know from when I used to be a guard on the Peace Gardens that there is a nuclear air-raid shellter underneath the townhall/Peace Gardens area - though I don't know where the entrance is. I heard from the supervisors that the entrance was somewhere in the grounds of that chapel that's on Norfolk Street opposite The Monk - but, that's just hear-say.

I know for fact there is a massive network of underground tunnels; sewers, escape tunnels (Mary Queen of Scots), services tunnels, 'apparent' rail-network, underground rivers that have been covered by development e.g. Sheaf River. According to what I've heard, it's possible to walk completely from one end of the city centre to the other, and from top to bottom too - all underground.

It makes me think, like in New York there are homeless people that live in the underground rail network, that whether there are homeless people or ciminal etc that live in the underground network of Sheffield?

Abroadhead, that's a very interesting map.

You show the waterway parallel to Berners road, going pretty much straight through the garden of the house I used to live in, and in fact, there was, actually a small natural stream that ran through my garden. There was a marshy section that the previous tenant had tried to dry out, unsuccessfully, where the grass grew thicker and lusher than the rest of the garden.

Abroadhead, that's a very interesting map.

You show the waterway parallel to Berners road, going pretty much straight through the garden of the house I used to live in, and in fact, there was, actually a small natural stream that ran through my garden. There was a marshy section that the previous tenant had tried to dry out, unsuccessfully, where the grass grew thicker and lusher than the rest of the garden.

That's very useful to know, thanks. Local info like that has helped to create and refine the lost river map, so always pleased when people can confirm!

I often wonder if Sheffield has secret passages, tunnels, bases and subterranean lairs underground?

there was tunnels at the bottom of the moor. i know as i did security on them years ago. they built the i think it was called the manpower building on them

Edited by backwardben
added

My father was born in 1913 and lived in Duke Street. When he was about 12 years old, he and some mates went into a tunnel somewhere near the Queens Head and went some way into the tunnel b ut they had to turn back due to the stale air.

My father was born in 1913 and lived in Duke Street. When he was about 12 years old, he and some mates went into a tunnel somewhere near the Queens Head and went some way into the tunnel b ut they had to turn back due to the stale air.

The tunnel you descibe was one end of the one that ended in Castlegreen just below the Police station. It went under Exchange Street bisected the bottom of Dixon Lane and on towards Duke St. At one time it musg have gone under Sheffield Castle.

My work here is done.

(Mounts horse and rides off into sunset to the tune of the William Tell Overture.)

Hio Steptoad Awaaaaayyyyy!! :D:hihi::P

Biggsy :)

---------- Post added 16-08-2015 at 00:42 ----------

Does anyone know whether the tunnels found under the Fire and Police Museum at West Bar wass ever explored?

There was a walled off bit at the police station that was going to be demolished for further investigation but it was in the solicitors greedy hands as to whether or not some charity building were going to destroy it with and extension or something like it!!

Biggsy :)

I worked at the old Royal Hospital on West Street back in the late 60's early 70's until the main part of the Hallamshire Hospital opened (1978) and as part of my work also did some time at the Royal Infirmary until that also closed in 1979(?). When I went there I was surprised to find that there was an extensive network of tunnels linking all the buildings. There were areas used for storage as well and it was a real rabbit warren. I once got lost taking a patient back to a ward from the Roundhouse building in wet weather. Fortunately we bumped into someone else who directed me but it was quite an experience to go down there. There must have been lift access to all the buildings or it would not have been possible to take patients in wheelchairs or beds which I recall it was. No longer living in Sheffield I don't know how much, if any, of the old buildings are left. I recall that all but one of them (Victoria Block?) had gone but I wonder if the old tunnels are still in existence beneath the housing and supermarket that eventually covered the site.