Tunnels under Sheffield

I read on the sign thats just near Castle Markets that there are the remains of the castle dungeon underneath. I wonder if there is anyway to find out where?

Once heard a rumour that when they redeveloped the Arundel Gate /Pond Street area in the late 1960's an under- ground bunker was built at the same time.

As anyone noticed the large reinforced steel door set into the subway wall at the bottom of Eyre Street near to the Staples store. I wonder ?

the government obviously has contigency plans, so that the country can still operate in the event of nuclear war, london being blown up, etc.

if this did happen, government would be run from sheffield.

it would make sense that their are bunkers under the city.

i also read somewhere that there was once supposedly a tunnel running from the old castle to woodhouse - around mary (or whoever) was held there.

don't know about that, but the nuclear war one is definitely true - plans were drawn up to have an emergency government in sheffield during the cold war.

This site

http://www.cybertrn.demon.co.uk/guardian/index.htm

although about Manchester, gives a fascinating insight into city underground bunkers. There are links to other cities and other nuclear monitoring installations.

There was no underground bunker in Sheffield city centre because it was situated in a contained valley. Although radiation would spread, it would be much more contained than other more open flat cities.

)

Originally posted by pietro

Once heard a rumour that when they redeveloped the Arundel Gate /Pond Street area in the late 1960's an under- ground bunker was built at the same time.

As anyone noticed the large reinforced steel door set into the subway wall at the bottom of Eyre Street near to the Staples store. I wonder ?

That door doesnt lead anywhere, ive already explored it, its full of fuse boxes for the lights and some telephone switches (dont ask :evil: ).

The one thing i have heard from a guy i used to work with at moorfoot who used to do security stuff, was of an underground railway system connecting the bottom of queens road (somewhere under the ice rink) with somewhere around norton college. It is apparently used to ferry VIP's into the city, and is owned by the gov and part of a larger underground complex owned by the MoD.

Theres a rather large bomb shelter under moorfoot, but getting to it is a real pain in the proverbials. Another under the Fire Station, one under city hall, another under the town hall, and a largeish complex out towards don valley. I cant confirm all of them, but ive seen three of them.

The railway apparently runs under the normal railway because it makes the likelihood of its discovery unlikely, since u dont dig up mainlines, and power is widely available.

which three have you seen?

are they from ww2?

The one under city hall is ww2, the one under the fire station is recent, moorfoot one is the same. They are the ones ive seen.

I know theres way into the main complex via a building next the river just beyond the wicker arches, a real big tower block affair on the right. But good luck on getting access. The place is pretty heavily guarded. Its one of those so called deniability sites.

When I went to Magna about 6 months ago, I had a tour of the plant. Apparantly there are tunnels that link all the steel factories that exist or did exist in the area. Apparantly some old bloke went missing once on a visit to Magna and the police spent ages searching the tunnels. Turned out he had just got bored and gone home on the bus!

edit - actually, maybe it was the factories with the power station, I can't quite remember.

Scooby-Dooby-Doo.............

Hi all.

I was wondering if anyone had any plans or any kind of diagrams that will show the network of tunnels.

There is one tunnel that i have been in many years ago. It was a University building called the update centre in those days now called cafe Da Vincis Cyber Cafe near the Sir Fredrick mappin building. That tunnel leading from cafe Da Vincis (update Centre) lead all the way to the St Georges Church and also to the area that is now the mappin flats. There was also a door that was sealed that leads all the way to the Sir Fredrick mappin building. The door on the other side near the mappin building has been welded shut for about 20 years.

If anyone has anymore Places that they know please pm me with them.

(edited out personal information by Moon Maiden)

It has been written that there are tunels on shalesmoor under what was the old Acorn Pub built in 1864.

The great flood of 1864 badly affected the pub and in particular the tunnels that run beneath. Several people were drowned.

The Acorn called time in 1960. It was however used for a time as a jazz club called Club 60, and has since been used as plumbers merchants.

No reference has been found to date relating to the use of the tunnels or there purpose.

It is also rumoured that a large Tunnel runs from Ecclesfield Church all the way to Whitley Hall in Grenoside.

It is reported that it was something to do with the French monks using it as an escape route.

So if sheffield has so many tunnels, why the hell do we have caos on the roads,look at London put em to use stick the pedestrians in em,,,,,ha ha ha

Whereabouts is the one on the moor? Rumour has it that the firm I work for (Baldwin and Francis, bottom of Eyre Street) is built on top of an old ww2 air raid shelter, but I dont know how true it is.