Tunnels under Sheffield

Sheffield Town Hall No 3 ..... 1808 - 1897

Town Hall No 3 was rebuilt a short ¼ mile away and had its foundation stone laid June23rd 1808. The architect was Charles Watson. The building was enlarged in 1833 and again in 1867 and was used as a prison with prison offices for Petty and Quarter Sessions and for town meetings. The Town Trustees originally owned the building but the lease was taken over by Sheffield Council in 1866. In 1867 the hall was enlarged and re-modelled internally. A clock tower was added the materials of which came from the parts of the building which had been demolished. A drinking fountain had been built into the wall in 1857 facing Castle Street (the first of its kind in Sheffield). An underground tunnel or passage was built which connected the town hall to the newly constructed police offices in Castle Green. Although re-routed slightly here and there, this passage was still in use up to a few years ago and may well still be today.

Sheffield Town Hall No 3 ..... 1808 - 1897

Town Hall No 3 was rebuilt a short ¼ mile away and had its foundation stone laid June23rd 1808. The architect was Charles Watson. The building was enlarged in 1833 and again in 1867 and was used as a prison with prison offices for Petty and Quarter Sessions and for town meetings. The Town Trustees originally owned the building but the lease was taken over by Sheffield Council in 1866. In 1867 the hall was enlarged and re-modelled internally. A clock tower was added the materials of which came from the parts of the building which had been demolished. A drinking fountain had been built into the wall in 1857 facing Castle Street (the first of its kind in Sheffield). An underground tunnel or passage was built which connected the town hall to the newly constructed police offices in Castle Green. Although re-routed slightly here and there, this passage was still in use up to a few years ago and may well still be today.

the passage you mention was used to bring prisoners from the cells into a holding cell/cells under the court

very interesting about what's been said about the manpower services building - it looks very much like it's designed with fortification in mind with flanking walls, dry 'moats' firing positions very strange. and there is zero chance of it surviving a nuclear strike, but looks like it could be regional distribution centre - but in totally the wrong location...... ...ideal for a zombie invasion though, especially with wickes handily next door

forgot to add - almost like the regional town halls of the 19th Century - designed to be fortified again civil insurrection.... (not wickes, no)

"One that can't be identified houses certain valuables and archive records of a most significant importance held in the city for a hundred years or so, access is by permission of the reigning monarch or the arch bishop of Canterbury" - under the central library ?

we were shown around the vault with the huge safe door at school (late 70's early 80's i think) - alternatively, given the church involvement it's going to be way under the cathedral i guess :-)

The archives mentioned in the post above are in the basement of the central library. The rubbish about the reigning monarch is just that rubbish. I remember the school trip and can remember them saying the archives store a lot of documents and books that are far too fragile to be handled by the general public. I clearly remember the cell like bars that kept people out but more importantly remember on a furhter visit seeing the doors/gates open and a librarian type bustling back and forth.

As a side note I still think that there is a bricked up archway possibly a tunnel entrance in the side of the hill going up past the bottom of Woodbank Crescent on Chesterfield road.

Just read that plug for the Queen's Head pub which has been called to our attention.....

OK! well put together, no spelling mistakes but that don't make it kosher. Tunnels 2 miles long? No way! that'd be about 6000 cubic yards of muck, enough to put a 3 foot deep topping on Bramall Lane pitch... (Not a bad idea, eh?). Anyway, a tunnel to the Manor from Pond St would have to cross the river. Very dodgy even if it were lined properly. And when the railway was put in there would have been some evidence of

underground workings. Sorry, I'm a non believer. And I've not heard that one about Mary doing a bunk after taking a swift half in the Queen's Head. Yes, yes, I know it wasn't licensed then, but she'd have a bit of pull to bend the rules. And the blurb needs up- dating. The bus station's gone, just about; there's no smoky corners since July 2007 &

getting a pint for £2.45 seems a good deal these days.

There is suppose to be a tunnel from The Old Carbrook Hall Pub at Carbrook to the Manor Castle?????

hi

there are several tunnel running under city centre some of trhem where used to transpotr money.from bankers draft pub whitch was a bank.to the cannel.they use to use donkeys to transport these the tunnel entrace is still there at bankers draft end but not save to go down i had a sneek view.when i worked there shhhhhhhhhh

garry

Just read that plug for the Queen's Head pub which has been called to our attention.....

OK! well put together, no spelling mistakes but that don't make it kosher. Tunnels 2 miles long? No way! that'd be about 6000 cubic yards of muck, enough to put a 3 foot deep topping on Bramall Lane pitch... (Not a bad idea, eh?). Anyway, a tunnel to the Manor from Pond St would have to cross the river. Very dodgy even if it were lined properly. And when the railway was put in there would have been some evidence of

underground workings. Sorry, I'm a non believer. And I've not heard that one about Mary doing a bunk after taking a swift half in the Queen's Head. Yes, yes, I know it wasn't licensed then, but she'd have a bit of pull to bend the rules. And the blurb needs up- dating. The bus station's gone, just about; there's no smoky corners since July 2007 &

getting a pint for £2.45 seems a good deal these days.

Rivelin Tunnel 4 miles 612 yards.

Rivelin Tunnel 4 miles 612 yards.

Sure! And Totley tunnel & the hole under the Channel.....but these are modern, or relatively modern excavations. Even the sewerage system of a hundred & odd years ago was somewhat longer than 2 miles, but we aren't talking about recent works, the stuff under discussion relates to castles & the Queen's Head, lads in doublet & hose at the latest, with a pick & shovel at best.

If they ever existed for more than a few yards, they had to be cut out overtly, they're SECRET tunnels, for God's sake, not something to be discussed over a pint of ale at the Queen's Head or Dove & Rainbow. And all done without mechanical assistance of any sort....... Rivelin tunnel is a culvert, it carries water not people. There's no need for a ventilation system and the contractors could dump their muck somewhere without arousing the suspicions of the Council.

Lets see some photographs or other believable evidence. To say there are reports of many tunnels, it's surprising nobody has any concrete evidence of their existence.