Tunnels under Sheffield

:) there was 1 up high hazels park area,my m8s dad was park ranger & told us 2 stay away[early60s] that was sposed 2 go 2 darnall [summat 2 do with mary queen o scots] & then in 2 town 2 the river don.there was definetly 1 on canklow roundabout[late 60s][cos we explored it-ok i know its not sheffield]& it went in 2 what was called boston hill[with the castle on top-that just looked like a rock stars mansion & not a castle 2 me]apparantly that had been aquired by the kp crisp factory[that was on the other side of the roundabout]& used as a store from the m-o-d,local legend said that it was linked 2 the castle up darnall via howarth hall .our ole fella reckoned it was an ammo dump 4 the ak ak batteries that were all over the place during ww2 which is more feasable 2 me cos sheff was 1 o the most bombed cities on the planet during the blitz.

:( p.s. was the castle up darnall called carbrooke castle?

Makes me wonder if Mary Queen of Scots ever saw daylight, - poor wretch must have spent most of her time in Sheffield groping around slime-dripping , foul-smelling, rat-infested tunnels :P

:( p.s. was the castle up darnall called carbrooke castle?

What castle 'up Darnall' ?

Carbrook Hall was on Attercliffe Common, still is - opposite Meadowhall Retail Park. :D

:) half way up city rd left side,where the crematorium was [is?]

:) back 2 highhazels [woods[ which us kids in brinsworth reckoned were ours cos they started at the marshalling yards-lol. u could walk in a straight line [more or less] 2 darnall-or if u skirted the golf course 2 wards orgreave u came 2 the old watch tower & just below were the old gunpits[not so old then]that was all connected by tunnels & that was s'posed to link 2 sheff city centre.

:hihi:

The tunnel to the goods yard existed in 1968 as I used to walk my dog in the area.

There was however no track and it was blocked at the goods yard end.

Note about it here:

http://www.burngreavemessenger.org.uk/33aug03/poorjohn.htm

Also found a picture from 1979

http://johnlawontherails.fotopic.net/p26853847.html

I'm interested in Cold War relics in Sheffield and notice nuclear references in this thread. From what I have worked out there are were no official shelters in Sheffield. The Council designated a broom cupboard in the Town Hall and pocketted the cash given by the government for building a real shelter. All I could find is a Royal Signals underground observation post on Abbeydale golf course and a private shelter in Loxley Valley, which is probably now a wine cellar. The railway tunnel at bridgehouses was filled in with the remains of the Royal Hospital

:) i heard in the late 70s they'd built a fallout shelter under the new town hall building & there was a big stink cos they'd used an irish building firm 2 do the nessasary & some 1 high up di'nt think this was 2 cool cos o the possible terrorist connection with the ira & suchlike.mebbe this was an urban myth circulated by disgruntled rate payers, i believe it but then again elvis really does work in our chippie.

I seem to recall my old man who was a journalist at the Star telling me about the nuclear shelter under the peace gardens that would hold about 200 / 300 people, the likes of local dignitaries, doctors, scientists etc.