Tunnels under Sheffield

I have read somewhere about a tunnel in the cellar of one of the pubs. Think it might be old crown.

With a 16th century Sheffield population of circa 2000 I wonder who built all these supposed tunnels, and why they were needed. It is far easier to protect yourself on tera firma than in a tunnel, royalty and aristocrats were generally good horse men and women, they would simply stick the spurs in if danger appeared, and leave the fighting to those who were paid to do it.

I know some tunnels under Sheffield and have been through the ones I could get in always looking for more tho

I uncovered a tunnel under our house when digging out the old concrete floor in the basement.

The house was built in the 1880's and the floor had always been damp, rendering the room unusable. I wanted to move the kitchen down there so dug out the old concrete floor to put a dpc and new floor in. When I took up the old floor I uncovered a stream that had been channeled in a brick culvert topped with stone slabs. It emerged from under my neighbours house above (we lived on a steep hill) ran under my floor and disappeared under my other neighbours house below. When I hacked out the stonework on the up side the builders had gone to the trouble of building a brick arched tunnel big enough to crawl through, but under the houses lower down had adopted a more frugal method of channeling the water. Occasionally water backed up when it came to the restricted culvert causing the problems with damp. The tunnel above ran for some twenty feet but came to an abrupt halt at a sandstone face with water emerging through a number of cracks. Expensive nightmare to sort out.

There’s a tunnel connecting the building now used by Howells Solicitors and The Old Town Hall.

2 hours ago, Lucasaw said:

There’s a tunnel connecting the building now used by Howells Solicitors and The Old Town Hall.

I lived at Olivet Road, Woodeats, in the cellar there was a bricked up passageway, mum told me it went under all the houses in our block, I don,t know the reason why.

7 hours ago, Billam said:

I lived at Olivet Road, Woodeats, in the cellar there was a bricked up passageway, mum told me it went under all the houses in our block, I don,t know the reason why.

Hi Billam. A good chance that was built during wartime as an escape passage between houses if the houses were hit by falling bombs.

In the cellar where I lived a s a child, you could see on both walls where the brick work had been replaced over what would have been two escape routes.

Here's a map of all tunnels. Dashed tunnels aren't definite and it's all rough. https://drive.google.com/file/d/14xPTQs_ZGz6uG67lJVL7Hq-kyFePpvVe/view?usp=sharing

14 hours ago, Runningman said:

Hi Billam. A good chance that was built during wartime as an escape passage between houses if the houses were hit by falling bombs.

In the cellar where I lived a s a child, you could see on both walls where the brick work had been replaced over what would have been two escape routes.

You are probably right, that is what mum told me, I didn,t believe her. She also told me their gas masks were in the tunnel.