Tunnels under Sheffield

I've just come into possession of a letter in the Star (02/07/98) that is all about the Park tunnels. This gentleman asserts that as a lad he and his mates used to play in some tunnels (entrance on Skye Edge) that led to Manor lodge (where they were barred and gated). He reckons the entrance was a 'vast hole' on Skye Edge, so I'm presuming that at least the hole has been filled in. Apparently they found war munitions and Moony gang coins in there, which they sold to the ragman. But if there really was a gate and bars at the Manor Lodge end, someone must know it's there...we've had the place crawling with archeologists before now.

Curiouser and curiouser...

There are tunnels from Manor to the Queens Head, but apparently they are now blocked. They also ran from the castle.

Castle markets run walks like that, get in touch!

Hi junade what do you mean the Castle Market do walks? you mean they have access to the tunnels and let the public down there?

Hi,

missed this one I don't know why?? I'll come if we can get access.

I have a snoop finding about the location of the manor entrance. The Sheff, Medaevil re-enactment society do their practises up at the Manor sometime, so we shall see what is what.

The tunnels date back to at least the 15th century and are as many have mentioned so far connected with Manor Castle.

It isn't unusual to have tunnels and such with the castles. Monk Bretton Priory in Barnsley is said to have tunnels that link up with another church in Wakefield :shock: A quick escape route for the monk should they be attacked.

Moon Maiden

Junade,

It's a nice thought, and it has been fairly certainly ascertained that there were tunnels to and from these buildings, but that they most probably did not run from town to the Manor, as geographically there are some major problems with that theory. If you definitely know differently, then please please show me irrefutable proof (i.e. photos or the tunnels themselves or Council documents - I've heard the stories and read the articles already, no offense :wink: ), as I've been chewing on this problem for a while now

If you can get tunnel tours, then you will be a popular person, as a lot of us on this topic are itching to see some of the tunnels. And I for one would like to know the definitive answer(s) to this niggly subject

Smiles,

Laura

Here is some more from my hubby.

One of the entrances is located at Wicker arches. Large door. You used to be able to access them from there. Apparently though if you open the large door there you will find a brick wall now.

He reckons there are three 'layers' of tunnels. The newest ones near the city floor are fairly recent, possible associated with a netweork of airraid shelters.

The second layer is the tunnels associated with the castle and then there is a new super layer beneath these, which is suposed to be nuclear bunkers :shock: . Miles and miles of the things should there ever be a nuclear attack, we are sorted.

These nuclear tunnels are supposed to be accessed by the other layers which is why Sheffield council wouldn't officially give anyone access.

Don't know how true the layers are.

Moon Maiden

Someone once told me that there were/are tunnels that run to the Carbrook Inn (near the Arena). Also I was in Halifax Hall last week, which is near Endcliffe Park, and there was some blurb on the history of the buildings which included about tunnels which ran to Town Hall.

There is a group/club called Subterranea Brittanica who search out these old underground workings, tunnels & bunkers etc.

Maybe someone there may be able to help with the quest?

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/

Matt

What a great name...

It would be interesting to hear what they have to say.

I was given this from one of my pagan friends

Hi

I don't get online much myself these days, good to see everything is

ticking over smoothly.

When the Peace Gardens were excavated in 1998 I was Security manager

and spoke to the Chief Engineer of Sheffield City Council about the

legendary tunnels.

As far as he is concerned, they don't exist, if they did ever then

certainly they would have collapsed by now. Stories of 'brick lined'

tunnels began circulating when Castle Markets were being built, but

what people could see were the old victorian city sewers.

Other excavations in the area are old mining works. My friend Angel

is big on local history and is a key member of the Manor History

Society. She says an extensive thermal imaging survey and soundings

were carried out in the vicinity of Manor Tower in the mid 90s and

there was no evidence of any tunnels there either.

But don't give up. There are stories of Tunnels all over Sheffield

area, including one linking Beauchief Abbey and Norton Church which

is quite laughable but even if you uncover anything about mining

shafts, wells or any other less romantic subterranean delights it's

something.

However, tunnels, unless they are regularly checked and maintained

become dangerous. Old tunnels particularly so, so it's doubtful that

you will be permitted to simply go down there with torches and look

around.

Other good sources of information might be the City Engineers

archives for copies of old sewerage system maps, excavations that are

charted etc., the reference library and staff at Weston Park Museum.

Work still keeps me from being as involved locally as I would like, I

seem to be working 24/7, but I hope to check in here again soon,

Was posted yesterday I think.

Moon Maiden

I think that pretty much settles it then, and I reckon subbrit would have been onto them long ago if they'd existed.

Beauchief Abbey and Norton Church being linked by a tunnel would be extremely impressive, but extremely unlikey!