Tunnels under Sheffield

There are some tunnels under the small industrial park at the junction of charlotte rd and edmund rd. I saw them after looking at some premises there, I think they're from WWII but could be older.

Rumour has it that some of the subways of the time of the "Hole In The Road" are still there? Is this true? Somebody said you could access them from the Co-Op. :o

Has anyone explored under the city in the many drains and culverts? I have heard some rumours about a huge domed arch under the train station.

if you do a search, there's a thread on here somewhere about the Sheffield tunnels :-)

The huge domed arch under the station is known as the 'Megatron' and indeed it does exist, it is part of the culvert system containing the Porter Brook. There is a lot about it on the Urbex Urban exploration Website, where several people managed to take some great pictures of it by sneaking down there while re-lining of the culverts (Now completed) was being carried out.

However, it is not open to the general public, and anyone who would venture down there at this time of year (especially when the snow starts to thaw) would be a damn fool, so the armchair method of exploration on the Urbex picture galleries would be infinitely preferable!:hihi:

I know there are some amazing drain systems under the station. But be bloody careful if you go down there

while in town this afternoon i thought about this thread and smiled - here's why:

during the cold war, the CIA (apparently) set up a secret listening post under the berlin wall into the soviet sector - the problem was however that in winter the temperature within the tunnel was causing the snow to melt above it, thus causing finger of non-snowy ground emanating from the direction of the US sector...

...now this afternoon wandering up surrey street, the pavement all the way from the old masonic hall, up to the side entrance of the town hall was completely snow free, the other side of the road wasn't (even though, if i have my bearings, that was the side of the road to receive more direct sunlight)...

...hmm......

just a bit of fun remember :)

i think sheffield is riddled with tunnels workmen seem to find them all the time

Omg how weird are these pics!! Was it just a subway underground? Im

Confused!

From reading this thread someone called 'jon' the op said in 2003 he had written a letter to the council asking about the tunnels and would let us know if they replied. But no post to tell us whether they replied or not:

I got a letter from the council today (friday 16th may) about the tunnels they have passed my information on to someone else and will be getting back intouch with me soon fingers crossed :D

then he posted in 2005 but again nothing to say if he did/if they replied. What a strange thing to put when you yourself had written to them 2 yrs previously, surely he remembered writing to them?

This topic was started on 05-05-2003 and in this time as anyone been intouch with the Sheffield Council about these tunnels, i think i will send them a letter next week and i will let you all know what they say.

Only the council can confirm. This threads full of interests stories but nothing factual to which i can see.

Come on 'jon' did they ever reply? :)

Edited by miaowwoof