Tunnels under Sheffield

Why does no one read?

That was 16th May 2003!!! 6 bloody years ago!!!

Yeah but I think 6 years is the average response time from the council :D

not sure if this has already been posted but just read this:

I found the following in a scrapbook in the Local Studies Library by a man called Henry Tatton. Henry was born in 1861 and for 50 years kept an ironmongers stall in the Market Hall. He died in 1946, but at the age of 59, in 1920, he decided to learn to draw, and kept these scrapbooks of his drawings of Sheffield. He also scattered them with things he came across he thought were interesting. The following he got from the Sheffield Daily Telegraph, but didn't note the date. If you want to look it up it's in volume 3 of his notes, page 229.

"Underground passages in Sheffield.

There are old coal mine workings in the vicinity of Rockingham Street. The Manor passage may have been used to bring drinking water to the Park from the Manor well or spring. Then there was the wooden pipes made from hollowed tree trunks used to convey water from Brookhill to the Hartshead. These carrier passages are being put forward as subterranean passages. Fragments of tunnels found under the Castle Hill, same size as the Manor Passage. There is another passage at the Manor, going West. A passage was found underneath the road, from the Cross Keys Handsworth, running in the direction of Handsworth Church. Also another passage from Handsworth Church to the Manor, by Handsworth Hall Farm. Then a passage was found in the City Road brickfield. It ran in the direction of the Manor. Lined with dressed stones and high enough to walk in. The passage under the tramway Club in High Court, High Street leads into another passing under Cockayne's Arcade. Another passage found under Rodgers Pond Hill Works. Also one running towards the New Post Office from River Lane. Under the Hall in the Ponds, the built up end of another passage which ran towards the Midland Station.

When Priory Road Sharrow was made, a tunnel was found leading from the Old Priory towards the city. In it was found a built up Chamber. It contained a table and 2 oak chairs, some tumblers and a bottle. In one corner remnants of clothing, a rusty armour and a sword 3 feet long. A passage ran from near the present Heeley Station to Newfield Hall and then towards Sheffield castle. In 1925 a Mrs. Jenkinson said an old man told her he had traversed it all the way and said it was about 6 ft. high. One end of it is near Meersbrook Park Rd in the old farmstead buildings. A passage near Glossop Rd led into old coal workings and to a shaft at the corner of Convent Walk."

taken from this website http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=356&start=0&p=44194&&do=findComment&comment=44194

Yes, although to be fair the guy got his research spot on. He did locate the exact entrance to the tunnel just by the little snippets of information we gave away.

I'm pretty sure you can get all the information off the local history board located nearby (in fact, directly above the tunnel line). You're looking directly at it here.

Edited by pberry

I've been told there's a tunnel near or in Stocksbridge somewhere which is still reasonably safe and accessible, been googling but can't find anything if so does anyone where there is?

I've been told there's a tunnel near or in Stocksbridge somewhere which is still reasonably safe and accessible, been googling but can't find anything if so does anyone where there is?

This is probably the old railway tunnel on part of the former Woodhead Line, which has been turned into a footpath/cycle track with lighting. It makes fantastic echoes if you shout or sing, as the walls are smooth concrete.

Re. a passage from near Heeley Station to the Castle, as well as others from the other side of the valley to the Castle; I'd be a bit sceptical, as they would have to burrow under the Porter Brook; however that may not be impossible, if coal measures lie beneath the stream bed, and shafts were sunk deeply in the bottom of the valley.

One other interesting underground structure which was only recently filled in, but should be re-used if a new building is built there, is the cellar of the COSSACK pub on Howard Street; from what I know, it predated even the 18th Century pub on the site before it was bombed in WW2, and it may indeed also have had passages leading from it, perhaps to the neighbouring buildings such as the Howard, or further afield, although the modern buildings at Hallam Uni would have obliterated any in the direction of the Castle...

Very interesting...id love to go down them...could be allsorts underneath us we dont know about...

In response to the person, jon, if anyone or even you are getting together a group of people who can get to any of the tunnels in Sheffield please please let me know cause I would love to be able to go into the tunnels. I love any form history espicially Tudor history. If there are any groups that or people who are arranging this kind of visit to the tunnels in Sheffield please let me know I would be very very interested to go. :hihi:

This is probably the old railway tunnel on part of the former Woodhead Line, which has been turned into a footpath/cycle track with lighting. It makes fantastic echoes if you shout or sing, as the walls are smooth concrete.

Re. a passage from near Heeley Station to the Castle, as well as others from the other side of the valley to the Castle; I'd be a bit sceptical, as they would have to burrow under the Porter Brook; however that may not be impossible, if coal measures lie beneath the stream bed, and shafts were sunk deeply in the bottom of the valley.

One other interesting underground structure which was only recently filled in, but should be re-used if a new building is built there, is the cellar of the COSSACK pub on Howard Street; from what I know, it predated even the 18th Century pub on the site before it was bombed in WW2, and it may indeed also have had passages leading from it, perhaps to the neighbouring buildings such as the Howard, or further afield, although the modern buildings at Hallam Uni would have obliterated any in the direction of the Castle...

Thanks Tryanna, that's what i would of presumed that it's part of the old Woodhead line, don't suppose you know exactly where the entrance in Stocksbridge maybe though do you?

I know of a water tunnel which runs from Heeley Bridge to the start of Gleadless woods / Cat Lane, no nothing about one under Porter Brook though.

I think the Cossack will have had plenty of passages filled, but you never know as there seems to be so little documented about various tunnels and passages in Sheffield, it's almost like thye've got something to hide :suspect:

In response to the person, jon, if anyone or even you are getting together a group of people who can get to any of the tunnels in Sheffield please please let me know cause I would love to be able to go into the tunnels. I love any form history espicially Tudor history. If there are any groups that or people who are arranging this kind of visit to the tunnels in Sheffield please let me know I would be very very interested to go. :hihi:

deffo! I'm always up for exploring new places especially tunnels, don't know of any groups, and can't see how there really could be an official group either, but if anyone want's to meet up and explore somewhere then just get in touch!

That cellar was completely filled with rubble and earth, and compacted, so effectively, there's no cellar left.