Tunnels under Sheffield

Sorry to go a little off-topic here, but as this is a thread on tunnels and rumours, I think this should fit in here.

The tunnel I'm talking about isn't a mythical one, nor is it under the city, in fact it's on the outskirts. Spinkhill tunnel, near mount St Mary's college, is now partially flooded, presumably to prevent people entering it. The water is about thigh deep in places, but obviously that doesn't keep the local kids out of there!

My question is this; does anyone on here remember a rumour, a few years ago now, that a large 'cat' (ie a Panther or something, not a moggie) had been sighted around the area of the tunnel? I remember this being talked about quite a bit at one time, but I never found out whether there was a good explanation for it. I presume it was either drunks who saw it, or it was just a black dog, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone remembers anything.

My husband and a friend of his got some books from the library once and found out about this tunnel, they then went to explore it a few days later but this was at least 4 years ago when we still lived in clowne. They reackon to have got quite a way through it but we haven't heard about the balck panther of which you speak but given the amount of drunks that used to be in there it could have just been a dog. St Mary's College, which I believe is a girls school has a tunnel running from there to Barlborough Hall School. I know about this as my husband went threre and we have a friend who's daughter goes to St Mary's who has also heard about this.

Many of these posts keep returning to an idea that there is a tunnel that runs to/from the Old Queen's Head pub at Pond Street. Stupid question perhaps (six years into the thread, after all!), but has anyone actually asked the landlord of the pub what he knows about it?!?

Many of these posts keep returning to an idea that there is a tunnel that runs to/from the Old Queen's Head pub at Pond Street. Stupid question perhaps (six years into the thread, after all!), but has anyone actually asked the landlord of the pub what he knows about it?!?

I read a book which was about supposedly haunted areas of Sheffield and the pub is mentioned as having a ghost or two.

It also mentions a tunnel that was found there, (details of where it goes to/went, to i'm not sure of) and at some point inside the tunnel was found to be a very old shawl or something of that type which is thought to have belonged to Mary Queen of Scotts.

I read a book which was about supposedly haunted areas of Sheffield and the pub is mentioned as having a ghost or two.

It also mentions a tunnel that was found there, (details of where it goes to/went, to i'm not sure of) and at some point inside the tunnel was found to be a very old shawl or something of that type which is thought to have belonged to Mary Queen of Scotts.

Give me a pick and a shovel and I'll go down there. I ain't afraid of no ghosts :cool:

But seriously, the landlord may have all the information we need here. Hell, he may even say, "yeah, follow me" and take you down to the tunnel entrance with his plasma gun at the ready. OK, perhaps not.

But if no-one's actually pursued this route, I'll drop in one lunchtime and quiz him/her.

don't be ridiculous! we're all conspiracy theorists who like to think about tunnels, but can't actually be bothered to check them out!

some tunnels, such as the one at spinkhill mentioned above are real...but that's common knowledge because it is a former railway tunnel, not a secret tunnel like the one of pond street.

if you go down remember to take a camera, i'd love to see some photos.

Give me a pick and a shovel and I'll go down there. I ain't afraid of no ghosts :cool:

But seriously, the landlord may have all the information we need here. Hell, he may even say, "yeah, follow me" and take you down to the tunnel entrance with his plasma gun at the ready. OK, perhaps not.

But if no-one's actually pursued this route, I'll drop in one lunchtime and quiz him/her.

---------------

hi firstmanonth-----

there are tunnels leading up to manor castle

some passages lead up to the where the old cockaynes arcade

use to be---------

I know that this thread is very old now, but I happenend to come upon it today while looking at todays posts and must say it's a really interesting thread!

I once went on a ghost walk around Sheffield a few years ago and I heard off the guy doing it, I think his name was Mr P. Dreadful, that there is a morgue with stone slabs under the Cathedral in town. And not only that, but there happens to be a tunnel leading from under the cathedral to what is now Boots cellar! And that is supposed to be haunted aswell! Very interesting stuff! I wonder if anyone has done a book on it? Would love to know more about this stuff!

There's a thread on here about the hole in the road, take a look at the pictures of when it got filled in and see if you can spot something strange, something that you wouldn't do if you were simply filling a void.

Sorry to dreg up old threads but I have wasted an entire day at work (well I did do some work, I promise) reading this thread with great interest. I had to register because this poster's comment on page 22 stuck in my head. What exactly is it he/she is referring to (if anyone knows)?

I found said thread and examined the pictures but nothing jumped out at me. Whether explainable or not, what was this poster referring to - it is bugging me now!

Do you have any exact link for the pictures? I read this thread a long time ago and haven't got the time at the moment to re-read it. although after a bit of reading i think i should...such a great read.

Do you have any exact link for the pictures? I read this thread a long time ago and haven't got the time at the moment to re-read it. although after a bit of reading i think i should...such a great read.

It was a very interesting read!

I'm not sure if this is the thread the person I quoted was referring to, but it's the only one I can find with pictures of the filling in process in it:

... okay tried to post the link there but I'm not being allowed since I've not posted 5 posts!!!! Try this - if you remove the space between the h and t in http should work - sorry!

h ttp://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61423

the only thing i can think they may be referring to is the concrete circle in the final two "fill it in" pictures. it looks like they have left a shaft to get down to the hole in the road despite filling it in. Maybe this is because there is a tunnel down there, maybe not.

I used to work in the Bankers Draft, which is right next to the hole in the road, and they do have bricked up tunnel entrances in the cellar.

the only thing i can think they may be referring to is the concrete circle in the final two "fill it in" pictures. it looks like they have left a shaft to get down to the hole in the road despite filling it in. Maybe this is because there is a tunnel down there, maybe not.

I used to work in the Bankers Draft, which is right next to the hole in the road, and they do have bricked up tunnel entrances in the cellar.

Ah, I see what you mean! Dang, why is it I always work myself up thinking I will see something amazing and in the end it's really nothing!!!! lol

Thank's for pointing that out to me! :)