Sign in to follow this  

Good Chinese restaurant

Originally posted by "steelblade"

Just got through to Candy Town, they are closed for a refurb.

So would you say golden dragon is next best place?

Boyfriend has been to Top Wok before and said it was ok but It doesn't seem to have good reviews.

I just hate it when you go out for a meal, pay loads and it's pants.

Golden Dragon is very nice (not quite candy town though), I always go to Golden Dragon whenever I can't get seated at Candy Town. I am going to try the Oriental Buffet soon tho cos it's had some amazing reviews from mates of mine!

Have a good night!

I'd recommend Zing Vaa (on the Moor) although some people say they don't like it. There's supposed to be a good new one on London Rd that a mate's been to - but I can't remember the name - sorry! :oops:

Failing that, Canton Orchard on Fulwood Rd is good, but quite expensive.

(I'm getting hungry now... :? )

Originally posted by "DaBouncer"

I am going to try the Oriental Buffet soon tho cos it's had some amazing reviews from mates of mine!

Is that the one opposite Ponds Forge?

Originally posted by "steelblade"

Boyfriend has been to Top Wok before and said it was ok but It doesn't seem to have good reviews.

Top Wok used to be OK, but it's changed hands a couple of times recently and it's now called something else. Apparently this has meant the standards have dropped (even more :shock: ) but I haven't been (and don't think I will be going) to decide for myself.

Originally posted by "Tony Ruscoe"

I am going to try the Oriental Buffet soon tho cos it's had some amazing reviews from mates of mine!

Is that the one opposite Ponds Forge?

Sure is!

Let me know what it's like - I work just round the corner from there so it might be a useful lunchtime / teatime "venue" :)

The banners look a bit dodgy, but you can't judge a restaurant by its banners.

If you don't want to pay a fortune go to Vietnamese noodle bar.

The number of chinese and customers in general tells a story.

Originally posted by "mikey"

If you don't want to pay a fortune go to Vietnamese noodle bar.

The number of chinese and customers in general tells a story.

Yeah, I've been there and think it's great.

We went to the Vietnamese Noodle Bar the other week after hearing how good it was and were only met by dissapointment! :cry:

The service was very poor, the young guy who served us was very rude and never smiled and at one point even took my girlfriends meal before she had finished eating it! (she still had the chopsticks working around the chicken!). We have spoken to friends about this guy and aparantly he' like this often, so if you do go and this guy server you, swap tables to get someone else.

The food was nice, but avoid the squid dish, this gave me major upset stomach!

Overall, an average place to eat but avoid the moody kid and squid!

Originally posted by "Tony Ruscoe"

Let me know what it's like - I work just round the corner from there so it might be a useful lunchtime / teatime "venue" :)

The banners look a bit dodgy, but you can't judge a restaurant by its banners.

We went yesterday with some Taiwanese friends. The place is a lot better than the banners! (I found those very tacky too - they should replace them with something better). Difficult to judge the place as I've not been to any similar buffet type places - I thought it was good value and served tasty food. I'd be interested to see if they vary the selection - there's plenty to choose from but it would be even better if they added new dishes on a regular basis, especially as there didn't seem to be much to satisfy people with a taste for spicy foods (I thought there might by something like thai curry for example). Also, the fruit they had seemed to be just tinned fruit, which seemed a shame. I don't know if they have anything different in the evenings (there's different prices for different times of day - weekday lunchtimes are cheapest).

We decided to give golden dragon a miss and went to this new Oriental buffet place instead.

The food was delicious. Lots to choose from and all very hot and fresh.

Service was really good. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and also very quick!

It isn't the kind of place to go if you are a couple looking for a romantic evening. It is better suited to groups of friends I think.

The Zing Vaa on the Moor is fantastic, the vegetarian set meal was really good. I actually found it by mistake (a friend booked it by mistake, she meant to book the Golden Dragon!).