Christmas Visit & Where to Go?

Well hello fellow forum members that remotely remember me. Well I am coming to Sheffield to spend Christmas with my parents. First time back for Christmas since about 1989. it's been a looooong time and I can't wait. We came for a visit in November 3 years ago and it was great. Warmest November on record and we were out an about in t-shirts in the middle of Fargate video taping the International Market and Peace Gardens. Got quite a few funny looks. We looked a right pair of bloody Americans!! And the 60 bus ride home was a trip! Dodging school kids and running people off Fulwood Rd at break neck speed. Holy crap! Forgot how different things are.

So anyway, we arrive on Dec 20th and leave on the 30th. Where is there to go? Any suggestions for Christmas markets or exhibitions. Should we stay clear of Meadowhall? Where would you send a couple of tourists at Christmas? ...and be nice :cool:

For an uplifting experience, why not go to the Manor? :hihi:

Or even Gleadless :suspect:

The peace gardens are having a big Santas' grotto and by all accounts will be pretty good. Matlock garden centre have a fab christmas display and you can take in Chatsworth on the way back.

I grew up in Shefffield and have been to these places before. My husband is the real visitor. Meadowhall maybe for shopping and the Manor to see friends!! Hmmm Matlock sounds a great idea and I forgot about that place. Mum and Dad used to take me to Santas Grotto at foot of t' Moor many many years ago. That was when Father Christmas was real!

Hi Funke88 - long time no see on the forum.

Hope you have got over your Hurricane damage - must be 3 or 4 years????

No Classic Rock bar any longer!

Since you were last here - the place has changed so much, you will notice many cranes and building sites. all for the better.

Some ideas - I am sure there will be some Christmas markets in town, you could also try Chesterfield and Bakewell.

Chatsworth has been doing a christmas theme - the house is all trimmed up, but it does end just before the holiday.

Peak Cavern are doing carol concerts inside the cave - sounds like good fun, tickets needed.

And of course lots of music / theatre / shows to go and see.

Hey Mikey, thanks for the info. Chesterfield is my Mum's favourite shopping place as the parking is easier than Sheffield. We also did Bakewell last time so Chatsworth sounds a good idea. Any idea when the Carol concerts at Peak Cavern? It was closed when went there in November....

brb...

Hey just went to derbyshireguide.co.uk and found the schedule of Christmas events in Castleton. They have carol concert quite a few times but they do have one on Dec 23rd. With a brass band, mince pies and mulled wine. Fantastic idea. THANKS :) Go to go and email my Dad....

The Santa's Grotto in town looks OK, but it seems to be a log cabin (garden shed) in a big tent.

Bring back the mystical rides we used to get in the Co-op.

That made you think you were going on a long journey to see Father Chrtistmas.

So far our plan of action so far is:

The Plough in Hathersage for dinner then Scotsmans Pack for drinks and carol singing.

Peak Cavern in Castleton for Christmas Eve

Christmas Day and Boxing Day on the sofa!

The Deep Aquarium in Hull

Ranmoor Tandoori Restaurant (Mr Funke has never had an authentic curry before)

..Chesterfield, Meadowhall may be on the list....

When do the sales start? Over here they start on Dec 26th cos there's no Boxing Day in the US. I need to buy presents for my parents-in-law as we will be flying back to North Carolina to spend New Year with them.

Thanks Guys :cool: