Advice needed on Making a living will

Has any one made a "living Will? I have searched the forum but can't find any relevant threads.

My mum wants to make a living will, which informs medical staff how she would wish to be treated should she no longer be able to communicate her wishes to your medical team. She wants to decide what happens if she is seriously ill with little chance of recovery. It makes sure it is not left to me as her next of kin to make life and death decisions on her behalf.

Any advice?

I prepare living Wills as part of the services I offer. If you would like any information please do not hesitate to pm me. Regards Zena

Link for the form uyou need to write a living will. http://www.mind.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/B3CDDE26-CE2B-45E2-B7FC-272AA9DDA042/0/Advancedirectivesform.pdf

which will ensure that you dont need to pay anyone for writing this very important docuyment. Cripes only knows how much WTAW will charge you for this and why pay when you can do it yourself for nothing,. :D

Drop willman (forum member) a message.

He makes wills for a living.

Ensure she knows exactly what she wishes. Unfortunately hospitals regard food and water (via IV or stomach tube) as 'treatment', meaning that some individuals suffer a rather long drawn out death, sometimes taking weeks. There is a distinct difference between not being resuscitated and being starved.

I've had some friends who have lost immediate relatives due to this, despite their protests to medical staff :(

Thanks for the comments; via the bbc website we found http://www.euthanasia.cc/ and were able to download a form for Mum to complete. (F.O.C. :) )

Hopefully it wont come into effect for many a long year!

Link for the form uyou need to write a living will. http://www.mind.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/B3CDDE26-CE2B-45E2-B7FC-272AA9DDA042/0/Advancedirectivesform.pdf

which will ensure that you dont need to pay anyone for writing this very important docuyment. Cripes only knows how much WTAW will charge you for this and why pay when you can do it yourself for nothing,. :D

In my defence I did say that if he/she required any information I could be PM'd. I do have a business to run but I am not a greedy multi national company. I care first and foremost for people and if I can offer any help either on here or by telephone I will do. I can charge for my time but choose only to do so if I make home visits and actually prepare documents that have been signed. So again for anyone not sure, if information is required about Living Wills, Wills, Enduring Powers of Attorney or any estate planning matter I can be pm'd and no it won't cost anyone for me to answer a question. :smile:

My uncle made a living will he was terminaly ill. I went with him when he made it and there is pros and cons he stated that he did not want any medical intervation in the end including feeding through a tube. The soclitor advise that is not nessecierly a legal docoment as such as a normal will and it not concrete people can contest living will also not everyone clear on how it works so there confusion ie hospitals and people like ambulance staff will not have the info unless someones there to say something. It was stated that he was not to be resuceted he was on a number on occasion once was in the ambulance that was not there fault as they did not have a copy or any notes the other time was in hospital they did no and went against wish. The hospice were more understaning and took his wish into account.

Yes he requested not to be feed this was pretty upsetting and not a nice watching someone starve to death but in the end if he had been fed he probably would have suffererd a lot longer. There were times when it was unclear for example he was on antibotics was this medical intervantion ? we got told it was making is time less painfull.

One good side to it takes pressures off families so they dont have to make the descion to stop medical interation or what to whether to resuse and things like that so at least everyone knows what the person wants and keeping to wishes. Bad side is it could be made and they could be somthing done for them with aid of medical intervation and becouse living will say no then the doctors would have to go by that.I imagine writting a living will for somoone who not ill you would have to go into very find detail like what happen if had a accident, ilness ect. In my uncle living will I think things could have been made a little clearer for example iv fluid drips and antibiotics would he want if so when and when not.

I did feel guilty at times becouse things like them giving him antibiotics should i have stop this it hard to say. There was cetrain things i did fight for him. IT something that really needs to be written with some conserdaration and not to be took lightly. With my uncle we knew what the outcome would be he just want what time he had left to be as comfortable as possible and he did want to suffer more than nesceriy.

I hope this help if you would like any more info please ask. Take care