Crikey! The size of the Playstation 3

(P-l-e-a-s-e no 12 year olds/xbox fanboy responses)

On Monday I was in Leeds (for a worky meeting) when I nipped into a shop which had a Playstation 3 up and runnning.

It was about the size of a 1980's video recorder and shiny black (like the monilith in 2001). Perhaps dry-ice smoke starts to drift from it..

It gave me a feeeling on unease looking at it - it would really dominate a living room in a real none-good way....

Honk

The design is a bit ugly really :)

Did it look any good? (not physically)

Given that it was running launch titles on a small, old telly, it looked pretty damned good...the shop said they were getting in a big HD telly to play them on next week or so. By the time it has been out for 12 months the game releases shoud start to push the true potential of the system.

The big draw has to be that with 50 gig blu-ray disk drive that comes as standard there are going to be some h-u-g-e games. Geeky RPG games (my favs) can be stonkingly big - hurrah!

Still, it is the size of a small washing machine...

I quite like this sort of thing to be chunky...it feels like it is more solidly made (if only it really worked that way!)

And if only, like most Sony branded hardware, it didn't break halfway through teh 12 month warranty :D

I've heard of a few PS2s doing just that.

And if only, like most Sony branded hardware, it didn't break halfway through teh 12 month warranty :D

As long as they don't find any use for their legendary delf-destructing li-ion batteries it'll be OK. Still with the price they're going to be flogging them at over here at least you'll be getting value for money in the £ per cm³ stakes if not anything else...

Rich, I know you are anti Sony, but you are wrong.

I got a second hand Sony Profeel monitor from a railway station that was eight years old. It lasted for another ten years until the PSU failed. The only reason I got rid of it was that it was at the repair shop for three months because the engineer couldn't find the capacitor he needed to repair it.

Two of my three TV's are Sony. The floppy disc in my computer is Sony, my personal radio and MP3 player are Sony.

As you will have gathered, I rather trust Sony.

Their kit is reliable.

Just because you use an xbox, and appear to quite attached to it, don't be blinkered.

I don't have a games machine BTW. I haven't got time.

Soz, Gabblerachet, I think Sony is cack as well, I know your TV lasted for ages, but I do not rate Sony kit, my video is the biggest heap of junk I have ever owned, payed more than the price of the equivalent dixons own brand (matsui?) it has less functions\features and is now dead after only two years (the scart socket mysteriously failed). Should have saved £30 quid and bought the cheap one.

I also had one of their 20gb mp3 players for a shortwhile - not impressed at all

like most things electrical, it's a lottery, i've owned several sony products, tv's, videos, headphones, some have worked faultlessly, some have failed after a very short time

I also had one of their 20gb mp3 players for a shortwhile - not impressed at all

This does not apply only to Sony. I am not impressed with my Sony player but I'm not impressed with my iPod either. But the Sony is better.

My Sony Mini disc was great, before it got nicked. And it probably still is to the person that has it.

Problem for me is that they just won't go loud enough now, due to them wanting not to get sued for hearing damage.

BTW my in ears moulds are Sony, and I have two sets of headphones: Sennheiser HD25, the DJs favorite, which are OK, but not a patch on my Sony Z600.

And of course the xbox was truly immaculate:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4274035.stm

I can take or leave Sony gear to be honest. Yes, I have a PS2 and it's ok, completely problem free. I also have the XBOX but don't feel the need to denounce one over the other.

However, I did hear that Sony DVD writers were supposedly rebadged Optowrite drives, which quite a lot cheaper (and inferior) than the Sony model.

I do have a very nice pair of Sony headphones though and would certainly buy them again.