Questions about Sheffield

She were and He were are also used in north Nottinghamshire, where I was born. 'I were' is also used.

For example -

'He were right cowd' (pronounced 'code') meaning 'He was very cold.'

We also used the 'me sen' for myself.

Other phrases I remember being used there that I hear here in Sheffield were :

Mardy - sulky, easily upset.

Arr lass - our lass, usually referring to a man's wife.

Arr young 'un - our child.

Me mam - My mother

Me duck - general form of affection. E.g.

'It were right cowd, me duck' - It was very cold, my dear / darling / whatever form of affection you want.

Anyway, I'd better gerron wi' me work.

Joe

Isn't Mardy a Sheffield/South Yorkshireism?

As in "gerrup yer gret jessy, that just a mardy get"

Another one is the use of 'right'

i.e.

I phone in sick this morning because I wasn't feeling right well*

or

That pasty I had for my lunch was right nice**

*Not true, I'm in work now

**Fact. It was 'Greggstastic'.

Originally posted by Yodameister

"9 while 5" is surely pure Sheffield, I've never heard that anywhere else, first time I heard it I just thought "did you just say while instead of until, what planet are you on???" I say some Yorkshire expressions, but I don't think I will ever use this one, just doesn't sound right to my ear.

Nope, I'm from Oldham and we use that there also. Sounds completely natural to me!

shurrup rooarin

stop crying

As far as correct English usage goes, it just isn't right.

There's nothing wrong with that, I like it that there are different dialects, and I like the fact that when my parents come up here they can't understand people as well as I can. But there is nothing funny or surprising about me being surprised at the usage of while instead of until.

Do Sheffield born and bred people ever use the word until?

I know that not everyhting I say is totally correct English, I'm not having a go at anyone I'm just interested.

Originally posted by Yodameister

As far as correct English usage goes, it just isn't right.

There's nothing wrong with that, I like it that there are different dialects, and I like the fact that when my parents come up here they can't understand people as well as I can. But there is nothing funny or surprising about me being surprised at the usage of while instead of until.

Do Sheffield born and bred people ever use the word until?

I know that not everyhting I say is totally correct English, I'm not having a go at anyone I'm just interested.

i might say to my daughter..tha dunt get thi spendin money until that shuts thi cake oil

Wow - thanks for all the responses.

The "was" "were" question arose after watching a film in which one of the actors is from Sheffield (Sean Bean). I was convinced that I'd heard him say "were" in places where I would say "was" several times but this was disputed among some friends. (I also work at an English language institute at a university so I have a sort of interest in such things).

As far as the poker is concerned, I am an avid poker player and run a website devoted to it. I was wondering if England was a growing market in terms of interest in poker. Currently it is huge in the U.S.

In response to the person who referenced the Texas accent. I live in Michigan - pretty far from Texas and also not known in the U.S. for any type of very distinctive accent. I did at one point, however, run into a comparison of the Michigan and Texas accent that made the following distinction:

Michigan: Got inta'a baad AKcidih' with my rennel cahrr.

Texas: Got inta a bay-ed wreck in mah rent cawr.

Thanks again, everyone!

Sean Bean has a Sheffield accent whatever character he plays.. whether he's from Ireland or Middle Earth LOL

"Nah then Gandalph, thar gret gangly get.. whattsup wi'thee?"

Shelley,

Have you seen the film 'The Full Monty'?

Now that WILL give you an ear full of Sheffield chatter!

Joe

Or reight m8 what tha bin up2 den!!!!!!

sheffield what a place eh!!!!!

A few years back on telly Jeremy Clarkson did say Texas was America's answer to Yorkshire.

Not entirely with him on that one.

I always think Sean Bean sounds ridiculous in movies - alongside American actors who all sound Hollywoodish, his local accent sounds really out of place. I can't take him seriously in his roles, cos I just imagine him walking down Brammall Lane on match day.

Its wierd, cos it's my accent, so it should sound normal to me, but it sounds stupid in American movie context.