Pecuniary Advantage what does it mean

Can anyone help me with the term "obtaining a pecuniary advantage", what does it mean? I would ask a Solicitor but they are all coin operated toys, they don't move a muscle until you put coins in their hands

It means that you make money. If your solicitor advises you for free he is NOT gaining pecuniary advantage.

I think it means a financial advantage.. such as getting money

A friend has asked me to give them an employment reference to help them out and I have not employed them and another friend told me that it was a criminal offence to do this, so is using false references to get a job classed as obtaining a pecuniary advantage

so is using false references to get a job classed as obtaining a pecuniary advantage

No, its just fraud and if they get found out they will most likely be fired.

A friend has asked me to give them an employment reference to help them out and I have not employed them and another friend told me that it was a criminal offence to do this, so is using false references to get a job classed as obtaining a pecuniary advantage
No, the expression is just a fancy legal way of saying getting paid. You go to work for pecuniary advantage.

but if he got the job and then the company paid him a wage on the basis of the false reference it would then be obtaining a pecuniary advantage

but if he got the job and then the company paid him a wage on the basis of the false reference it would then be obtaining a pecuniary advantage
He'd be obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception yes. A bit ambiguous in that context.

pecuniary advantage - is a financial benefit gained by fraud or and illegally gained advantage.

pecuniary advantage - is a financial benefit gained by fraud or and illegally gained advantage.
I hate to disagree with you again but it's nothing to do with being illegal although the expression is often used in legal contexts.

It's something i investigate a lot... tends to be when someone completes a document like an application form saying they've got qualifications, experience, references etc that they haven't and by doing so put themselves at an advantage (and others at a disadvantage) to which they are not entitled. Ie. they are given an opportunity to obtain more dosh.

It would be classed as fraud under s.16 of the Theft Act and is known as 'obtaining a pecuniary advantage by deception'.