We (the nation) are fat, and fat is bad

Vitamin A is found in dark green and yellow vegetables and yellow fruits, such as broccoli spinach, turnip greens, carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, cantaloupe, and apricots, and in animal sources such as liver, milk, butter, cheese, and whole eggs. (From a recent GCSE Biology text book). It doesn't even mention oranges.

Why would you rely on oranges for your Vitamin A when it's available in much more concentrated doses in other foods?

Or do you mean Vitamin C?

It's the most "extreme" figure from the linked scientific abstract

Yet another study concluded that one would have to eat eight oranges today to derive the same amount of Vitamin A as our grandparents would have gotten from one.

Saying that on average Vit A has fallen by 20% isn't nearly as exciting.

Why would that be the case, Oranges have not changed.

Edit - Oh yes they have, apparently, due to our selective practices.

---------- Post added 20-05-2014 at 11:45 ----------

Now that is really quite interesting.

The 'average' drop reported seems to be about 20% for most vitamins and minerals though, with vit A in Oranges being an outlier at having dropped by nearly 90%.

You saw the link the guy provided? I read it sometime ago when studying the loss of nutrition in foods cooked. I came across it, although vague in my head.

I pan fry a lot of my food and I should know better about the loss and damage to it. Even breathing the smoke from frying foods can cause harm to ones body.

I pan fry a lot of my food

:confused:How else can you fry anything?

Hot plate.

jb

Deep fry

(Message too short)

Steam, boil, microwave, oven, bbq?

Steam, boil, microwave, oven, bbq?

How do you steam fry something?

jb

@Barleycorn - I pan fry most of my food. I don't steam, boil, microwave or oven cook much.

So instead of steaming my frozen veggies and fish, I pan fry them - frying most of my foods.

I lose most of the nutrients. They're burned away in smoke. It's toxic in my kitchen.

@Barleycorn - I pan fry most of my food. I don't steam, boil, microwave or oven cook much.

So instead of steaming my frozen veggies and fish, I pan fry them - frying most of my foods.

I lose most of the nutrients. They're burned away in smoke. It's toxic in my kitchen.

Is there any particular reason why you do this?

jb

@Barleycorn - I like my food with a brownish, crispy taste. I do steam fresh veg, and I also boil my chicken. All my oily fish dishes and frozen veggies are pan fried. I don't use any oil, I don't need it.