Pubs on the Wicker. Friday night pub crawls

Pubs on the Wicker. Friday night pub crawls.

With mates, or sometimes solo I would trawl through the pubs on the Wicker on some Friday and Saturday neets, in the early to mid 70's. I remember;

Brown Cow - Stones

Bull and Oak - Whitbread

Station Hotel - Tetley

Viaduct - Tetley

New White Lion - Tetley

(and a) Big Gun - Stones to shoot 'em with.

Have also been in other pubs in the general area:-

Harlequin - Wards - Johnson Street

Lion Hotel (Black Lion) - Tetley - Nursery Street

Hare and Hounds - Stones? - Nursery Street

Manchester Hotel - Wards - Nursery Street

Brown Cow - Wards - Mowbray Street

Bull and Mouth - Tetley - Waingate.

Didn't know about the Planters Bar at the Royal Victoria Hotel. If I would have known I would have done that one too! Well done big gun boy, top man. P.S. Which beer did they do?

I think that was called the Red Lion because in the war we went into the cellars there when the air raid sirens went off.We lived just off the wicker.

Brown Cow was next to the old Studio 7. Both been knocked down now.

The Brown Cow wasn't knocked down. It's here.

The Brown Cow wasn't knocked down. It's here.

I liked it better before.Had many a good pint in there.

does any 1 remember the hole in the wall pub just up the road going towards attercliffe

Harlequin is still there but it's on Nursery street not Johnson Street - we have our meets there, it's a real ale pub.

use to play darts for ladysbridge early sixties most of the team were irish navvies and they came in from work 5.30 you can imagine the state of them at 9.0 clock.some of the best laughs i have ever had.we didnt win a deal

I liked it better before.Had many a good pint in there.

Me too. When it was like this. What's happened to the Wicker pubs is a disgrace to the city.

Me too. When it was like this. What's happened to the Wicker pubs is a disgrace to the city.

used to go in on sunday night could not recognise it as the take away but this pic brings back memories good and bad! thanks

I agree 100%.

does any 1 remember the hole in the wall pub just up the road going towards attercliffe

Yes went in the "hole in the wall" or Wicker Brewery to give it its proper name for the after hours drinking,at one time.

Did anyone ever go in the Stanley Street club on stanley street just off the Wicker?

Yeah I remember the hole in the wall, just 100yds the other side of the arches,Attercliffe side, what about the Lodge at the bottom of Spital Hill, in later years it became Smiths motorbike shop,I bought a Triumph there in 71, don't know when it shut as a pub though The building is still up