Pubs on the Wicker. Friday night pub crawls

Noticed yesterday that the Manchester Arms has been re-named The Harlequin.

Reminded me of our friday night pub crawls. The Lion, The Big Gun, New Yellow Lion. The Harlequin (Origional site, not the new one), The Viaduct, The Station, Planters Bar, (In the Victoria hotel. We used to walk up the stairs, now fenced off next to the arches). Then the Bull and Oak. The Brown Cow and The boulogne. And maybe venture up to the Marples and the Claymore.

Always finished up in the Big Gun. Must have been in there hundreds of times, but only went in the best side twice.

you forgot the hare and hounds and lady's bridge..:hihi: i used to do the same run fridays and saturday nights in the 8o,s,ken had the big gun then,phillis had the brown cow,her hubby trevor would wait while we went in and pull an extra two halves for himself as she had stopped him from drinking

My Auntie & Uncle used yto have the Brown Cow in the 70's personally am too young to remember but I beleive my sister met her husband there!

scrabble,do you mean phill and trev? what a fantastic couple they were,sorry to hear ken had passed away,your cousin used to have the paper shop up by kelvin flats and work for her mam and dad at night,one night i was in and a man kept staring at me from the back bar,so i shouted over the bar "what are you looking at" phillis said, hes not staring love,hes blind,its the daughters boyfriend,i appologised but he laughed it off and him, me and big malcolm had a few pints

i used to meet my mam and dad outside the market and carry their shopping for them,we would call in the cow as it was opposite their bus stop,we did this for many years,when my dad died i picked up his ashes and on the way back called in for a pint

trevor said,"what you got in the bag al ?" i showed him my dads urn and he spat beer all over before calling me a daft bugger...great people and a great pub

the brown cow and the big gun i have fond memory's of those places

The Big Gun was our regular lunch time boozer...back in the 70's.

From what I've just read I gather it hasn't changed much??

I hope not. There's very few real pubs left today.

depoix, No they were Jean & Cyril, we are talking over 28 years ago cos my sisters been married nearly 30 years now! I cant actually remember the pub as I was only little at the time!

depoix, No they were Jean & Cyril, we are talking over 28 years ago cos my sisters been married nearly 30 years now! I cant actually remember the pub as I was only little at the time!

sorry scrabble my mistake,i was in the 86 /90 odd era,shame it had to come down though

the brown cow and the big gun i have fond memory's of those places

i used to go down the wicker

in the early 70s to when they all closed down:mad:

i remember the 2 gays that had the bull and oak.

i remember trevor and phillis of the brown cow

julie there daughter

then they took over the bull and oak.

i went to trevors funeral a few years ago.

great people.

and so sad they all had to close down.

there was some right characters

i also remember the couple that was in the brown cow before

trevor and phillis,

wish they would open the pubs back up again down there

us girls dont know where to go now for a good night out.

every friday come rain hail snow we were there.:hihi:

started off in the penny black 6.30ish

then bottom of dixon lane then hen and chicks

tap and spire(bit it wasant that then.lol

the big one on the oppersite corner brewery on the bridge.

down to hare and hounds on nursery st.i think it was.

then the irish lion on the corner,big gun.

then the little pub next to big gun with the phone box outside

across to brown cow,then bull and oak across to viaduct

finishing off in the station.rather:gag: drunk..:hihi:

cor memories...lol

Played many a Saturday night gig at the Harlequin, 1995-99. Great little boozer, much missed. The Brown Cow on the Wicker (now a takewaway), still has the original side door with 'Brown Cow' written in the glass. You can only see it when when the place is open though, as there's a wooden outer door covering it up the rest of the time.

Last saw Joker in the East House. He got three pints out of me, which is quite a feat, as anyone who knows me will testify.

Afavourite pub crawl in the 70's & 80's, proper pubs.

A few years ago, there were seven pubs in the wicker (arches to ladies bridge) and only one fast food shop (this was a chip shop). Now there is only one pub (big gun) and loads and loads of fast food shops/take aways.

Sign of the times.

if some of you lot used to go round the wicker about 6 or 7 yrs ago you might know my mother lynne dean. i understand that she used to go round with a friend of hers called brenda

I used to go in the" Bull and Oak " every night from 5.30 to 6.30 after we had done work at " Samuel Osbourns " on willey Street in 1970.Then we would go back and clock out. I will also say that the Bull and Oak was the best pint in the Wicker bar none, when frank had it. Must say though the" Lion on the corner of Wicker and Nursery street, Pulled a bloody good pint of Guiness. AHH good old day's