Pubs on the Wicker. Friday night pub crawls

Never been to any of the pubs down that way, being relatively new to Sheffield. Are there any worth visiting these days?

Never been to any of the pubs down that way, being relatively new to Sheffield. Are there any worth visiting these days?

There's only the Big Gun left on the Wicker - 'rough and ready'. Round the corner is the Harlequin (formerly the Manchester) which is nice, and you can continue down that way to the 'Beer Trail' - a whole littering of real ale places, but if you go on the Wicker, or further north from there, as you don't tknow the area too well, I wouldn't.

That said, at the moment, most if not all are shut due to flood damage.

I used to be the barmaid at the Brown Cow in the 70's, when Ron and Doris had it.We had some great times with the customers.I remember the Stanley brothers,a little Scottish bloke who,s name I can't remember, and RN,Lily and Wilf.Lots of good memories.We all moved to the Royal Oak, Mosborough about 1973

One for the oldies, how many of you finished off the night in the Peacock Chinese restuarant during the 60's ?

my dad and i used to drink down wicker sadly its a year ago on 2 sep that he passed away lots of people new him ( moss with long hair and glassers ) i do miss they old lad and i now pete n val in big gun will to

Remember it fondly,Fri nifght,snooker in the Lion till 7 ish then Big Gun,New White Lion,Viaduct Station B and Oak Cow then ladies Bridge,remember a woman in Ladies Bridge called horseface.

my dad and i used to drink down wicker sadly its a year ago on 2 sep that he passed away lots of people new him ( moss with long hair and glassers ) i do miss they old lad and i now pete n val in big gun will to

I remember Moss very well I used to work behined the bar in The Viaduct (Frank)

Fred Jennings was the landlord We had some great nights there:thumbsup:

wow frank that was a long time ago i think i was about 21.22 years old then that was last time i think i drank in there before it closed i am 39 now but yea i had good times down wicker with my dad i started drinking on wicker at the age of 13 used to do pub to pub it was hard trying to keep up wi mi dad he could sup what a place it was when all pubs were open great era

I CAN REMEMBER GOING IN THE MARKET TAVERN ON A WENSDAY& SATURDAY AFTER NOON FOR THE 60S MUSIC THE DJ WAS A BIG LAD QUIT GOOD ALWAYS HAD PLENTY IN THEN HE WENT TO TAP & BARREL WAS SAME DOWN THERE GOOD OLD 60S & 70S WONDER WERE HES GONE TO NOW I THINK HE WAS FROM ROTHERHAM CANT THINK OF IS NAME BUT I THINK HE WAS ONE OF THE BEST DJs WITH THE OLDIE-----ROCK N ROLL

one of the best djs in the wicker was sez les from the hair and hounds top man

Was That The Grotty Old Man With Tattoos All Down His Arms And No Teeth and scuffy gray hair

Pubs on the Wicker. Friday night pub crawls.

With mates, or sometimes solo I would trawl through the pubs on the Wicker on some Friday and Saturday neets, in the early to mid 70's. I remember;

Brown Cow - Stones

Bull and Oak - Whitbread

Station Hotel - Tetley

Viaduct - Tetley

New White Lion - Tetley

(and a) Big Gun - Stones to shoot 'em with.

Have also been in other pubs in the general area:-

Harlequin - Wards - Johnson Street

Lion Hotel (Black Lion) - Tetley - Nursery Street

Hare and Hounds - Stones? - Nursery Street

Manchester Hotel - Wards - Nursery Street

Brown Cow - Wards - Mowbray Street

Bull and Mouth - Tetley - Waingate.

Didn't know about the Planters Bar at the Royal Victoria Hotel. If I would have known I would have done that one too! Well done big gun boy, top man. P.S. Which beer did they do?