The Nintendo Wii Megathread- all discussion in here please

which console will sell the best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. which console will sell the best?

• Nintendo wii
    • PS3
    • Xbox 360

Nintendo are bringing their "Wii Move You" tour to Meadowhall next week! I think I'm going to be living there for a few days, especially if they have the new Zelda on show. Thought I should post about it; nothing's worse than finding out about something awesome afterwards.

Meh. Mines on pre-order and will be delivered to my home on 8th December.

30 mins hitting F5 on the Amazon site was well worth it :)

What do you think of the Nintendo wii console?

are you buying the nintendo wii console?

I think it'll be great - not got the power of the other consoles, but Nintendo are all about innovation. It's compatible with the DS, which is another plus, and it won't destroy the environment like the PS3 and it's resource-hungry technology.

well ive learnt something new about the console which makes me want to buy it even more i didnt know it was compatible with the DS thanks mate

Yep, it can be used as a controller, so multiplayer games are gonna be tactical and sneaky. The Wii (if connected to the Net) can also be used as a download station for the DS, allowing you to grab extra game content and demos for your DS. I'm waiting a bit before I get one, but I'll certainly be going round my mates house to bother his Wii with my DS.

I preferred teh new Nintendo console when it was called the Revolution, I hate the name Wii, imagine little Timmy going to his Dad and saying "Daddy, can I have a Wii (pronounced Wee) for Christmas?" and Dad will say "Wii? What's one of them when it's at home?"... :lol:

Yeah but as seen on just about every Nintendo-based forum, the 'Wii/wee' jokes get boring after a while and everyone just settles down and gets on with it. The name is supposed to be symbolic of people playing together or something, mainly because of the two 'i's and it sounds like 'we'. Here's what the Wiki says:

The console was known by the codename of "Revolution" until immediately prior to E3 2006.[42] According to the Nintendo Style Guide: A Guide to the Proper Usage of Some of Nintendo's Products, the name "is simply Wii, not Nintendo Wii." This means it is the first home console Nintendo has marketed outside of Japan without the company name featured prominently in its trademark. Nintendo spells "Wii" with two "i"s to imply an image of players gathering together, as well as to represent the console's controllers. The company has given many reasons for this choice of name since the announcement; however, the most well known is:

"Wii sounds like 'we', which emphasizes that the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii."

Despite Nintendo's justification for the name, members of the press, online communities, and game developers[44] initially reacted negatively to the name change. Some "wish Nintendo had stuck with 'Revolution',"[45] pointed out phonetic similarities to the French word oui and mostly negative words in English,[44] or expressed "fear that the name would convey a continued sense of 'kidiness' [sic] to the console."[46] Reggie Fils-Aime acknowledged the initial reaction and further explained the change:

"Revolution as a name is not ideal; it's long, and in some cultures, it's hard to pronounce. So we wanted something that was short, to the point, easy to pronounce, and distinctive. That's how 'Wii,' as a console name, was created."

Nintendo defends its choice of "Wii" over "Revolution" and suggests to that those who dislike the name: "live with it, sleep with it, eat with it, move along with it."

(from Wikipedia)

I must admit the Wii does tempt me, the whole backward compatible to DS and the Virtual Console thing interests me somewhat as I'd use them loads, especially downloading old Nintendo games if the N64 WCW and WWF games became available such as WWF No Mercy and WCW Vs nWo Revenge, and some of the old SNES stuff like Super Tennis, Super Star Wars and the Mario games.

If I get the chance I'll try before I buy :D

If I get the chance I'll try before I buy :D

Nimble hands need only apply :hihi::P

I must admit the Wii does tempt me, the whole backward compatible to DS and the Virtual Console thing interests me somewhat as I'd use them loads, especially downloading old Nintendo games if the N64 WCW and WWF games became available such as WWF No Mercy and WCW Vs nWo Revenge, and some of the old SNES stuff like Super Tennis, Super Star Wars and the Mario games.

Yeah you can play GameCube discs in the Wii, and use your GameCube controllers. The Virtual Console will give gamers access to thousands of retro classics, and the online functions are looking amazing. I'm still holding off buying one for a few months though - it's just common sense.