Blueyonder: lying about their web speeds?

I've noticed over the past month that my broadband connection is periodically very slow. I am supposed to have 2mb/s from Telewest Blueyonder Cable.

I stumbled upon this article in The Register and was fairly appalled. I decided to check my download speed, and the result was only 1mb/s. This is without any bandwidth-sucking programs such as Bittorrent or games open.

Has anyone else noticed something like this? I have complained to BY via their online form, but I doubt that will make a difference. Is there anything I can do, as this is surely false advertising?

The 2mb package doesn't mean you will connect at 2mb, it's usually anything upto that..

I was with Telewest in my old house and we had a 4mb connection, never got near that speed..

the speed depends on your connection, exchange and how far you are from the exchange

IMO the title to this thread needs changing because it clearly has nothing to do with unlimited web access/download limits.

All download speeds will fluctuate during the day, whether they be via ADSL or cable ~ they are more likely to slow down at peak times.

you will have 50 to 1 thingy/////so it depends how many is on

Title changed to reflect the topic of the thread.

The 2mb package doesn't mean you will connect at 2mb, it's usually anything upto that..

I was with Telewest in my old house and we had a 4mb connection, never got near that speed..

In the past I have consistently connected at 2mb/s. Downloads used to go at approx 250KB/S, now they do not.

Is it unlimited? In my experience unlimited never means unlimited, there is always the small print fair usage policy, especially if you are a heavy downloader.

It can be up and down. Usually during the day it's lightning fast, but does drop in the evening.

Does anyone know of a website you can use to check your connection speed?

I need to check my Sky Broadband connection, which seems to be running much slower than it should be.

Cheers

:thumbsup:

Does anyone know of a website you can use to check your connection speed?

adslguide (.org I think!)

make sure no other internet progs are running then click on the speed tester link on the left

you will need to make sure Java is installed