Incontinence - Could you put a dog to sleep for this reason?

Exactly how bad is King's incontinence Sall?

What are your main concerns in keeping him?

Is it just that caring for both your child and your dog is too much? or do you have other concerns too?

How old did you say he was? You didn't go through all this with him so far to give up on him now did you? :(

How aboout if somebody was able to foster him for a couple of weeks - as I suspect your home just wouldn't be the same without him - and with fostering there is a coming back from ;)

I just cant do this any more strix, I've managed for 8 months since his accident and now my baby is mobile I'ts just not fair on any of us.

He has bladder control but pretty much all of his poo's are done in the house. He doesn't realise its happening until its too late.

Because of this and the danger to my son, King is confined to the kitchen which is not nice for him especially as I'm at work all day so he's stuck with those 4 walls all day poor thing.

The first thing I have to do in the morning is clean him up, thats before I change, feed, dress my son and my self b4 heading out to nursery and work.

This is the hardest decision Ive ever had to make and Ive tryed so hard to cope with him and then Ive tryed re-homing him, but nobody wants to take on a dog with these problems.

Fostering wouldnt help as King will always have this problem and I will still have the same issues when he returns.

King is only 5 which makes this even harder as he could have years ahead of him if only we could find him a new home.

But as it stands I am seriously having to consider King going to doggy heaven :(

from experience recently - knowing you are doing the right thing doesn't make it any easier.but at least you loved him and will always have the happier memories.

i can honestly say i wouldn't consider homing a dog with control problems,but thats just my opinion - someone else might but i think it is an extremely long shot.

my thoughts are with you during this difficult time for doggy owners.

I'm sure that there are more people than you realise who understand how hard the whole situation is for you and your family Sall, but however much understanding you have from others, it's yourself you have to justify your actions to.

Personally I think when you're reaching the end of your tether, if you really can't find a solution to this issue (and that includes calling people like the Dogs Trust to see if they could find a long term foster home for him) then you have to make the only choice that you can for yourself and your baby.

That's not to say that it's going to be easy, but once you've explored and discounted other options, what would it do to you if you thought that this was going to go on for possibly another 10 years?

I'm not trying to be awkward by the way - I just know how much you love your dog, and having met the beagle owner who decided to have her's put down, and the distress she was still going through after having had a new pup for a few months too, I wouldn't want you to put yourself through the whole 'what if...' thing if you weren't confident it was exactly what you wanted. I can already tell it would break your heart if you thought for one minute that things could have been different :(

King was due to go to the vets for that final trip this week, but Ive cancelled!

Ive been in touch with the Dogs Trust re-homing centre in Leeds and am waiting for a place for him to go there. That way I can sponsor him until hopefully someone falls in love with him and takes him home.

I just couldnt bare to do it. :cry:

If the Dogs Trust cant give him a place by End of Dec/Jan then I will have to reconsider.

Thank you everyone for your support and I will keep you posted :)

Now that's what I meant by finding an alternative- well done Sall (trying not to sound patronising).

It's amazing how much better things can feel when you can see light on the horizon, isn't it?

Thats fab news im so glad you made that choice hes a beauty :thumbsup:

Congratulations, I really hope it works out for you X

King was due to go to the vets for that final trip this week, but Ive cancelled!

Ive been in touch with the Dogs Trust re-homing centre in Leeds and am waiting for a place for him to go there. That way I can sponsor him until hopefully someone falls in love with him and takes him home.

I just couldnt bare to do it. :cry:

If the Dogs Trust cant give him a place by End of Dec/Jan then I will have to reconsider.

Thank you everyone for your support and I will keep you posted :)

Thats good news. I hope it works out!

Good on you for looking for alternatives ! It's not a situation I would want to be in, and I sympathise with you - on a lighter note I would be happy to help sponsor your little man - let me know what I need to do.

L x

:cry: I'm so happy for you both :)

Keep us posted, won't you? :)

It looks like I'll be chasing Dogs Trust Leeds up too :thumbsup: