How would you improve Sheffield?

I'd get rid of all those stalls on Fargate, especially that big burger van that turns up right outside the townhall. And I'd chase off all the illegal street vendors from around the market and high street.It all makes the place look and smell like a depressed east European city.

Sheffield Rocks already but We could do with some amsterdam stylee Cafes and cycle lanes EVERYWHERE!

Also we need more people to give out chocolate in the street because that would be nice.

If we had more people giving out chocolate we woud have more congestion .

We should have less people giving out more chocolate.

Get rid of this useless GOVERNMENT!!!

And start finding JOBS for highly qualified, experienced people such as myself, who has been now 20 MONTHS AND COUNTING without a proper, decent fulltime job...

BTW I have a BA and MA Degree, and if anyone might be able to offer me a job, see my thread in the 'jobs Wanted' section...

Have you forgotten that there were three times as many unemployed in this country when the Tories were in power. Back then, a degree wasn't worth any more than toilet paper.

Have you forgotten that there were three times as many unemployed in this country when the Tories were in power. Back then, a degree wasn't worth any more than toilet paper.

And it is worth more now?

I don't think so..:help:

Seems like this thread is outlining problems that could be found anywhere in the UK. Never mind 'what would you do to improve Sheffield' - what you do to improve the way the entire country is headed!!?.

I notice lots of comments putting down Labour. Who do you think offers a good alternative and why, then?. By the way, I'm not biased one way or the other (much!). I'm not sure I have an answer though.....

If I was in charge, and money was no object. I would compulsory purchase a huge curved line of property along Beauchief, Whirlow, fulwood, stannington and wadsley so that the outer ring road has a second half.

It would also be fun to have road tunnels through the hills on the alignment so you don't have such steep descents into the rivelin valley..

With luck it would improve the traffic circulation in the congested arterial roads on the west of the city.

Also I have always enjoyed the idea of a huge deep straight road tunnel which goes from Totley through the pennines to join to the manchester motorway network. A rediculous expense, but not beyond some of the projects in some countries.

you have my vote. (although, not about the smoking):hihi:

ash

I guess I would remove half the traffic lights. Congestion would drop by 20% at a stroke. Then I'd open lots of the rat runs back up so another 20% of the traffic locked in the one way system after a wrong turn could be taken out of the loop!

There must be lots of empty council owned building that could be converted into car parks so taking another 20% of traffic driving round looking for somewhere to park and finally I would do a check on the loading of bus routes. A third are packed and two thirds have just a few people on.

IF I HAD THE CHANCE TO IMPROVE SHEFFIELD I WOULD GET RID OF ALL THE STUDENT BUILDINGS AND BUILD STUFF MORE FOR THE SHEFFIELDER!:)

IF I HAD THE CHANCE TO IMPROVE SHEFFIELD I WOULD GET RID OF ALL THE STUDENT BUILDINGS AND BUILD STUFF MORE FOR THE SHEFFIELDER!:)

is your caps lock on by any chance?

do somthing with that half finished mosque on wolsey road (its never going to be finished as they have run out of money) turn it into somthing useful that the area needs i am sure many poeple have some good idea's what it could become

A bus service that runs on time, proper cycle routes, proper parking for those who choose to drive into town.

early morning city centre cleaners, who sweep and wash the previous nights rubbish away, so people can go to work without having to side step god knows what on the floors.

limits to how many buildings can be worked on either revamped, built or demolished so the whole of the city centre isnt so depressing.

Cleaner and safer parks with activities for familys that dont cost a fortune.

bring back the youth clubs so teens have something to do.

Evening, weekends, and school hours only staff, for the people who only want to or only can work those hours.

I maybe dreaming that this could happen, but dreaming is kinda nice sometimes

firstly sheffields roads are the worst in britain, so i would like to see roads you can actually drive on without knackering your suspension on day in day out.

I'm not 'everyone else' - I love Sheffield and , despite having lived in other places, I always come back to Sheff . Believe me, ther are FAR worse places to live !

Like Worksop and Trashford.

Edited by CheekyBandit