How do you get on with your manager?

I think it's also about what the manager and the managee (?) are aiming to do. If they do not have similar goals then they probably won't get on. I mean goals in terms of being at work, of course. For example if the manager wants to work hard and do well and the managee is really aiming toward an easy life it's never going to work.

do what i did - so self eomployed and sack the bitch :)

One good thing that can happen is when you get to manage your former manager. I did that where I used to work, he was old enough to be my dad and I was very cruel to him. What goes around........

our mates just been upped to team leader, so hes getting more and more resonsibility

hes still ok, still one of the lads, but does have to delegate and it annoys me sometimes when i get stuck on the acid copperline.............instead of him

lol

My Dad's the boss in our house, its like the maniacs have taken over the asylum sometimes...

take a look around, is she like this with all members of staff, if so then not alot you can do, if she isnt, maybe she is being hard to stop others thinking she favours you as you are her friend. I was put in a simular position, where I had to tell my friend what I needed her to do, she thought I would give her all the good jobs, I kept records of how many times I asked all the staff to do anything so it was equal. She made a complaint to my manager and due to company policy they had to investigate, when they saw the record and spoke to other members of staff they upheld I was right, so much to say we are not friends anymore and she is stuck in a different part of the building doing something she hates as she can not work in my team anymore (company rules not mine)

tell her to chill out and get laid - it usually stops anyone talking to you again!

:thumbsup:

As some people have noted, being boss of a friend at work can be fine in some cases, but fail in others. I'm lucky to have been able to seperate work from play, and that my friends (and wife) have been able to do the same. One of my mates was a pain in the backside at work, and I had to really hassle him to get him to do what i told him, but out of work we were fine (I even told him, out of work, that I hated being on shift with him as he was a git to manage!)

My wife has worked alongside me as an employee for years now (in fact since not long after we met) both now, and in my previous job as a manager at McDs. At McDs the tension in the kitchens can be high at times, and I was often snappy and bossy with her. I had to tell her off for poor performance a few times. Yet out of work it was never mentioned as we both knew that in work we were not a couple - I was her manager, she was the employee.

BTW: I treat everyone equally at work, no matter what my feelings are towards them - that means those I get on with and hang around with get treated the same as those I think are a waste of oxygen.

Both parties need to realise that what happens in work is just that, and has nothing to do with relationships out of work. If you are being treated differently to other employees, then tell your friend about it. If they are really a friend then they will listen.

If you are being treated the same as other staff, maybe you need to think about why you resent being treated that way. Did you expect to be 'teachers pet' when your friend was promoted? Is there perhaps a tinge of jealousy at how friendly your mate is with their boss?

About 6 months or so ago my friend was promoted to my line manager. I can now say she is no longer my friend, she treats me with no respect and appears to have gone into 'delegation overload'. I think it's gone to her head. It's making me miserable, I can't go to her manager as she would back her up as she seems to have taken her onboard as her protege. I have been told today that I need to take on more tasks as we're short staffed and feel I'm getting deeper into a hole and feel I can't get out of.

I went for an interview 2 weeks ago and didn't get the job I'm desperate to leave but I need the flexibility/childcare/termtime contract.

One thing that you have to keep in mind is that your Manager (ex-friend) is now the one who will be answerable for things, so I guess she will take steps to ensure that the job is done well. This is just a thought - but are you sure it is not the case that you were expecting some special treatment from her because you were friends earlier?

Having said that, I never faced any problems when I was asked to perform a leadership role in my previous project. I still ate my lunch with the same lot and we even went out for movies/bowling parties together. While in office, I was their Manager but once we walked out of the office, we were friends as before!

And if you like what you are doing, I don't think your Manager should be a good enough reason to quit. What if your next Manager is worse, and you don't like the job either? Could be a case of "out of the frying pan, into the fire" So I think it would be better if you had a word about this with your friend/manager. She might not be aware of the impact that her actions are having on you.

One thing that you have to keep in mind is that your Manager (ex-friend) is now the one who will be answerable for things, so I guess she will take steps to ensure that the job is done well. This is just a thought - but are you sure it is not the case that you were expecting some special treatment from her because you were friends earlier?

Thanks for all your comments.

I have been there slightly longer than my manager and never for one minute would I expect any favours/special treatment. We both share the same work ethics, they know i'm hardworking, always pay attention to detail, I never have any time off sick which is why I'm finding it so hard as they know exactly what sort of an employee I am. Others have noticed a difference in their attitude and lack of courtesy when asking for tasks to be completed which is IMO unneccesary. At first I thought it was just me.

It's making me ill as there is a definate atmosphere and it's such a small team I dread going there, I can only see things deteriorating and have no one to approach whom I could confide in. I think If I had a chat they would deny/be surprised and try to blame fault with me and state matters are 'out of their hands' when it comes to passing on their workload. I did state that new tasks would make my workload harder but she just shrugged and said I should delegate to someonle else in the team. If I'm their equal should I delegate, I'm not their manager I don't think this would be fair on other team members....