Does anyone remember Blaskeys

wasn't there a blaskey's at the bottom of Dixon Lane nr the old sheaf market? I seem to remember a wallpaper shop there.

There window displays were marvellous. Must have taken hours to hang up all the rolls with a stretch of the pattern showing.

The wallpaper in those day, 1950s, had to be trimmed on each side. My Dad had a little cutter that he rolled along the edge and Mum stood rewinding the roll at the other end of the table.

The wallpaper always came from Blaskeys.

My mother who's in her 80's says that the Blaskey family had links (maybe owned?) the Heeley Coliseum.

I worked at Blaskeys (top of Water Lane)about 1953 while the big High St shop was being build, then moved to new shop. Norfolk Street wallpaper shop was owned by Gordon Gee and was Gee's Decorators Merchants which was also a trade shop,at the back of the wholesale dept was the old blacksmiths. I worked there after I left Blaskeys.

My Mum worked at Blaskeys before and after i was born in 1953 Her name was Betty just wondering if you knew her She was a Crookes before she married in 1952 and her married name is Dyson if so can u contact me [email protected]

thx janet

I worked at Gee's 1960 to 1964.

I worked in the offices and also as relief telephonist next to the trade counter.

Gee's then moved from Norfolk Street to somewhere near Leadmill Road.

Happy days.

Was the wall paper shop in Snig Hill just below Castle House Coop a Blaskey's ? My Mum let me choose my bedroom wallpaper for the first time there. It was blue, and guess what she didn't like it, she said it was cold, but she let me have it anyway and it stayed in my bedroom 'til I married in 1960.

I worked at Blaskeys (top of Water Lane)about 1953 while the big High St shop was being build, then moved to new shop. Norfolk Street wallpaper shop was owned by Gordon Gee and was Gee's Decorators Merchants which was also a trade shop,at the back of the wholesale dept was the old blacksmiths. I worked there after I left Blaskeys.

I worked at Gee's between early 61 and late 65, during which time they moved from Norfolk Street to Shoreham Street. Do you remember the likes of Stan Marsh, Stan Ogden, Pete Smith, Charlie and Brian Grant, Harry Bennett, Joyce Fletcher, Edna? Dransfield, Ada the cleaner and tea masher etc...etc, Good days!

It must be one of the oldest firms in sheffield and must have made their pile a very long time ago because my brother had a part time job as a chauffeur in the 30 ties driving Ben Blaskey in a very large limo; with a figure that was luminous at night fixed on the bonnet,he must have lived to a good age , he managed the shop in fitzalan sq till about 1950 Ibelieve Cheers Arthur.

My father also knew the Blaskeys. The first member of the family to set up a decorating business in Sheffield was Jacob Blaskey (formerly Blaski) who was born in Russia and came to England in the 1880s to escape the persecution of Jews. I think Ben Blaskey was his nephew, and he took over the business when Jacob died in 1933. The first Blaskeys shop was on London Road; by the 1960s they had about a dozen branches in Sheffield including the one in Middlewood Road that "felinolder" mentioned - this later became a branch of "Decor 8" before it closed.

Who remembers Hedleys sweet shop at bottom of Dykes Hall Road Hillsborough in the 60/70's...

I knew Oswald Edley 35+ years ago when we lived in Dykes Hall Road. He was a great bloke, and before he retired in 1974-75 he also sold home brewing materials - I made lots of beer and stout from stuff I bought there! He went to live in Devon and died in 1979 aged 70. Louis Colletta bought the business, which became "Colletta's Sweet Centre" but sweet shops were already on the decline and the shop closed, maybe 20 years or so ago.

Edited by hillsbro

In the 40's I passed my scholarship and went to a school in Bents Green.

One of the Blaskey's was in my year. I think her name was Janet Blaskey.

She was a very nice girl but what I remember about her was that she invited one of her classmates to come home with her for "High Tea"

Never having heard of such a thing I hurried home to Attercliffe after school and asked my brother what "High Tea" was. Being a typical brother he suggested they maybe sat on the roof.

She was a very nice girl.

My mum worked in Blaskeys on Snigg Hill in the late 50's

I worked at Gee's 1960 to 1964.

I worked in the offices and also as relief telephonist next to the trade counter.

Gee's then moved from Norfolk Street to somewhere near Leadmill Road.

Happy days.

I worked at Gee's between early 61 and late 65, during which time they moved from Norfolk Street to Shoreham Street. Do you remember the likes of Stan Marsh, Stan Ogden, Pete Smith, Charlie and Brian Grant, Alan Elliot, Malcolm Linley, Harry Bennett, Joyce Fletcher, Edna? Dransfield, Ada the cleaner and tea masher etc...etc, Good days! I remember Val on switch, and Susan Lunney who used to stand in.

Well, fancy that earlybird8.

I am one of the people you mentioned - guess which one.

Which department did you work in?

They were indeed very happy days. Oh how I wish the 60's times were here now.

I remember all the people you named. Sadly some of them are no longer with us.

Edited by evensus

Well, fancy that earlybird8.

I am one of the people you mentioned - guess which one.

Which department did you work in?

They were indeed very happy days. Oh how I wish the 60's times were here now.

I remember all the people you named. Sadly some of them are no longer with us.

If you worked on the switch as a stand-in, then I think you lived on Hackenthorpe as I did also, and you must be Susan. Can you guess who I am. I worked on the vans for a couple of years and then came in the warehouse. No, I'm not John Firminger but I'm still in touch with him. One or two more names to ponder over - Malcolm Linley, Alan Boden, Bob Reid (Jnr & Snr), Joyce Hunt (I was sweet on her!), Gloria ?????, Brenda ????, Miss Roebuck, and of course the famed Sharon Deuce!