Does anyone remember Blaskeys

There wasn't much wallpaper on display hung on the walls for you to choose from. You had to describe what you wanted to the person behind the counter. "Not embossed. Plain background, a few flowers on it. Not too many though." Then, the salesperson would roll out a couple of selections on the counter. "Nah. Too flowery that one. And I don't like all that beige on t'other un." And on it would go. But, the system worked and people usually walked out of the store with several rolls of wallpaper under their arms.

There wasn't much wallpaper on display hung on the walls for you to choose from. You had to describe what you wanted to the person behind the counter. "Not embossed. Plain background, a few flowers on it. Not too many though." Then, the salesperson would roll out a couple of selections on the counter. "Nah. Too flowery that one. And I don't like all that beige on t'other un." And on it would go. But, the system worked and people usually walked out of the store with several rolls of wallpaper under their arms.

That's quite true, you always had to have a colour in mind i.e. lemon shades, with or without pattern etc., there were only a few options.

I remember the "new" time saving "knock off ends" being introduced, this was a godsend in saving hours having to trim all the edges off before hanging, only the steady handed family member was allowed to do it. When the "knock off ends" came out you could hear the neighbours bashing the rolls against t'pasting table.

This is quite an old post,but earlier in it the company Gees decorators merchants on shoreham street was mentioned,Does anyone else have any memories of this company?

I remember going to blaskeys with mam when i was a kid (a long time ago)The rolls of paper had about 1/2" of plain paper on the edge trim they called it the assistant would bang it on the counter to break it off.dad would only use Valspar paint from Blaskeys.

Brought back memories:) I used to go with Mother to choose. She always seemed to be doing a room! Used to take her ages. At one time I remember cutting off the edges and playing with the trimmings.

The message from soft ayperth brought back memories. That way of rolling the patterns out on the counter, slightly staggered, was how we taught to serve. It was essential in the nissen hut shop. Space was so limited. There could be three or four assistants serving each side. The first question you had to ask a customer was, "Anything in the window you like". The current seasons best sellers had to be prominently displayed and heaven forbid that you ran out of stock. Yes we did close a sale by gradually reducing the number showing. Customers were always told to take an extra roll, which they were able to return if un-used, but I would say only about one in ten did bring one back. I think that alone boosted the sales. Is there anyone who remembers the brothers, or who worked at Blaskeys in the 50s and 60s ?

One of the family was John Blaskey. He was very keen on amateur dramatics, appeared in performances for many Sheffield AmDram societies. I remember him playing the lead in the first licensed AmDram performance of Boeing-Boeing in the UK, at the Lantern Theatre on Kenwood Park Road in Jan 1969. I did the lighting. I was told John once held a theatre party at the family house. Apparently they had a huge dining table with a bell-push under the carpet to summon a servant. In the way of such parties someone sat under the dining table and John came in to demand that whoever was sat on the bell-push, 'move', as its constant ringing was upsetting the staff.

This is quite an old post,but earlier in it the company Gees decorators merchants on shoreham street was mentioned,Does anyone else have any memories of this company?

A member of my family worked at Gee's during the 60's/70's. I can remember some of the staff names (mostly first names rather than surnames) and I have a few photographs of them.

---------- Post added 11-10-2017 at 08:10 ----------

My aunty worked at Blaskey's on Heeley bottom. She bought me some Beatle wallpaper from there when my family moved into a new house in 1963.

Who are the names you remember,i worked there from 65 to 69.

I remember about Blaskeys. My sister used to work for them at the house She did cleaning and ironing also. I was only young but I remember she said they worked her very hard and paid very little.

I could use someone like your sister, can she sew?

Who are the names you remember,i worked there from 65 to 69.

In no particular order: Brian Rattican, Malcom, Miss Roebuck, Frank Rogers, Janet Palmer, Joyce, George, Wilf, Elaine, Win Dolby, Winnie, Gary Fletcher.

Others too but I just can't recall names at the moment.

I remember most of those names,who was your family member who worked there?