Does anyone remember Blaskeys

surname is vickers,john firminger used to call me billy for some strange reason.

surname is vickers,john firminger used to call me billy for some strange reason.

I do remember your name, but can't put a face with it. I do think I can remember John calling you Billy. John was (is) a strange guy so it's not so surprising.

I was at school with the 2 Blaskey daughters who lived at Ecclesall. They were Janet and Susan.

Does anyone remember the wallpaper shop Blaskeys , my Mum used to work for them in the 1950's

yes they had a shop on spital hill we all used to get our wallpaper from there there was also one in the hole in the ground in the middle of town

yes they had a shop on spital hill we all used to get our wallpaper from there there was also one in the hole in the ground in the middle of town

It wasnt in t'ole int road...it was on King ST opposite Sexy Rexy's

i also remember blaskeys wallpaper shop as my parents always bought their wallpaper from there.

Yes i remember that shop so well not much room inside ,dad insisted all shopping was to be done there.

Didn,t Blaskeys have the warehouse at Highfield Market building on London road in the 60,s . I remember one of the Blaskeys used to park his bentley outside our house . My only connection with a Bentley " literally " was the first time I drove my own car after my test . Reversing , I bumped and broke the glass on his spot lamp . My mother insisted that I go tell him . He just shrugged his shoulder and said " don,t worry about it . Hope you never have another bump ".

Never had another bump in 47 years driving .

I'm a new member. I remember Blaskeys well, as I worked for them for nearly ten years. Started in Mansfield, then Leicester, Ilkeston, Sheffield and Nottingham. I actually left twice and re-joined. In Sheffield I worked in an old nissen hut shop in the centre, but then managed the new shop at the Moor. The old trams stopped running while I was there. Three brothers ran the business. Lionel at Head Office and Michael and Ellis supervised about thirty shops between them. Ellis was the one with a cigar and the Bentley. It was he who employed me. As a young manager I dreaded his visits, but actually he was the finest boss I ever had. I learned how to run a business successfully. The story about having his car damaged was typical of his generosity. As a newly married man when I moved to Sheffield, he let me buy furniture on his account and pay him back as I could. Looking back (I'm 82) he was like a 2nd father figure. When I decided to emigrate, he didn't want me to go, but I finished up working six months notice, before my papers came through.

Used to be one on Spital Hill, left hand side going up.

Yes, that Blaskey's was on the corner of Spital Hill/Spital Street diagonally opposite the 'East House' pub. The wallpaper store buliding -well the bottom half of it- is still there, now a Muslim beauty parlour.

One branch of the Blaskey family lived in Fulwood in the 1950's They had an au pair girl from Duisburg in Germany. Her name was Franziska Rottels. I went out with her for about a year. She told me that this branch of the Blaskey family spoke German at home. When Franziska first came to work in Sheffield, she could only speak German.

Didn,t Blaskeys have the warehouse at Highfield Market building on London road in the 60,s . I remember one of the Blaskeys used to park his bentley outside our house . My only connection with a Bentley " literally " was the first time I drove my own car after my test . Reversing , I bumped and broke the glass on his spot lamp . My mother insisted that I go tell him . He just shrugged his shoulder and said " don,t worry about it . Hope you never have another bump ".

Never had another bump in 47 years driving .

Ever play footie with Mr. Simpkins or Mr. Harley in the HB

school yard at lunch time?

Edited by trastrick

It wasnt in t'ole int road...it was on King ST opposite Sexy Rexy's

I think 'Sexy Rexy's' was on the corner of Charles Street and Pinstone Street. The store you may mean on King Street was 'Royce' but don't recall a 'Blaskey's' being opposite as most of that side was the back of the C&A.