Do you believe in Father Christmas?

Oh yes - I don't dismiss Santa. Just in case.. I am the same about Jesus... just edging my bets.

As we are nearing that magical time of year, I was just wondering how many Forumers actually believe in Father Christmas? Does he really exist or is he something we all wish really existed?

I think you'd better start believing or they'll be no pressies for you this year :hihi:

I believe in Father Christmas but I won't be getting what I want this year :(

A fat bloke who does 1 nights work a year....is he John Prescott in disguise?

Hell yes i believe in Father Christmas, and his elves too, along with Mrs Clause.

Anyone who says otherwise should get charcoal for Christmas :rant:

Lestat I found your post quite sad & amusing at the same time, how awful for a 7 year old!!!

My daughter is 8 years old & I think she started doubting father christmas exists last year. A week ago she admitted she no longer believes in him. I was quite sad when she told me & she saw my sadness. I din't agree with her, I just said of course he exists. She kept on saying he doesn't & saying the usual things like how come he is in every shop in town at the same time then?

Anyway a day later after realising she'd shattered my illusions that she believed she told me she was only joking & did really believe in him.

I think she is saying this to make me happy or perhaps thinking we won't buy her anything if she doesn't believe & I'm not sure how to tackle this.

Do I tell her the truth but then she may really believe or do I carry on the pretence? What age do you shatter their illusions & agree he doesn't exist?

ahh its the time of year when the jolly red fat man cums down your chimney...

Not any more, mate! He’s noted that lots of houses no longer have chimneys that work so he’s moved with the times. Still takes his mince pie and glass of sherry though, and good luck to him; he works hard! All year making toys and then having to deliver ’em himself. No fixed hours with a contract of employment for him. He’s self-employed, so at least he can fiddle the heavenly tax man — and there’s a perk! He’s allowed to live longer because even the immigrants don’t want the job.

I'm not sure how to tackle this.

Do I tell her the truth but then she may really believe or do I carry on the pretence? What age do you shatter their illusions & agree he doesn't exist?

It's simple. Tell her all the Santa's that are in shops are not real...it's easy to see they're not real. They are imitating the one real Santa who visits everyone on Xmas night. These are people are chosen by Santa to work for him and make the kids who are not so clever still believe in the magic.

Tell her that she actually knows the secret now, but not to tell the other kids who go to visit all these Santa's in the shops because it'll ruin their Xmas. She is one of the few now, who knows that a real Santa will be visiting her on Christmas. :thumbsup: