Hole in the Wall pub, Savile St near the Wicker

Passed the other day and noticed there's not much left of it now, probably will vanish altogether quite soon. The derelict facade seems to have been in the same state for many years so was a bit sad to see it's almost gone now.

Anyone remember what it was like when it was open and when it finally shut?

http://www.sheffieldpubs.fsnet.co.uk/Business/pubs/hole%20in%20the%20wall.htm

I remember it, used to frequent the place when I worked at the Wicker Goods Depot, it was still open when we moved to Sheaf House in 1965.

Tuppie

Quite ironic then, that the "Hole" still stands, albiet only just, and Sheaf House has bitten the dust.

It was open in 1985. The landlady there, a very sociable person, had the nickname of 'Pandora'. I believe it ended its days as a ladies pub.

Does anyone remember the name of the artist who did the mural in the pub,

he had the old bakery on South Road Walkley, just can't remember his name.

Chester Barker had a small bakery on Walkley, my brother worked for him for a while.

The artist had it after it was closed as a bakery, it was towards the Commonside end, i seem to remember a hovis sign there.

I understand that that pub was used by the beautiful south for one of their pop videos.

I think it used to have a brewery behind it and it was the brewery pub ( brewery tap ) of that brewery. But the brewery was not needed and converted to making vinegar, which would be quite an insult to the former master beer brewer.

I do recognise that is is just another old pub in the wrong place nowadays, but what a shame to loose a venue with such a rich history.

If they where going to demolish it all they would have done so by now. It seems to me they are trying to preserve the windows and solid stone parts of the building, perhaps for a future building in the same place.

I don't know who 'they' are though... :suspect:

I understand that that pub was used by the beautiful south for one of their pop videos.

The frontage of the pub was suggested for the cover shot of Beautiful South's album: Blue Is The Colour (ten years since). You might still be able to make out that title written on the old pub sign above the window.

As you might have gathered, it wasn't used.

I remember going the Hole in the Wall for lunch on occasion in early 80s from work. I worked in the forge office just up the road (John Holding Co Ltd). Nice meals but wouldnt venture there at night lol.

Caz

i just remember seeing it as i past on the bus coming into town in the mid to late 80s