The old houses off Penistone rd

I lived on Dutton Road 1952 to 1961.

Dunreet

What number did you live at, I was at school with Godfrey Hayes, Keith Mclean and Gordon Pearce and knew the Hunts, Crappers, Boulby's, Spooners and Glovers.

Happy Days! PopT

from hillfoot bridge towards hillsborough river side long row blacksmith before it was wierhead garage brealeys hauliers mission before it became don fire lighters our street hobson ave very posh we had coil oils not cellers next anlaby brough cottom eden streets abc streets opposite from hillfoot bridge e. rdwood st. parkers yardthe alley gyovr square where hillfoot club still stands just after wood st. the minerva pub hicks rd.fawley rd.woodgrove rd rawson st.then some big houses with stables monfredies bamforth st high house rd.burton st. bilston st high house terrace capel st.rose pub opp cambridge pub barrack tavern capel pub burdalls flats this area known as the bottom rooad

from hillfoot bridge towards hillsborough river side long row blacksmith before it was wierhead garage brealeys hauliers mission before it became don fire lighters our street hobson ave very posh we had coil oils not cellers next anlaby brough cottom eden streets abc streets opposite from hillfoot bridge e. rdwood st. parkers yardthe alley gyovr square where hillfoot club still stands just after wood st. the minerva pub hicks rd.fawley rd.woodgrove rd rawson st.then some big houses with stables monfredies bamforth st high house rd.burton st. bilston st high house terrace capel st.rose pub opp cambridge pub barrack tavern capel pub burdalls flats this area known as the bottom rooad excuse my spelling mistakes I went to burton st. scoyl and am a very owd bloke

If u remember all that lot not so old ME 78 and my sex life still great LOL

I lived at 17 Rawson Street and my cousins lived at 18 Rawson Street in the 50's?early 6o's. I had an Aunt and Uncle livingin in Anlaby Street and had many friends in what was know as the ABD streets. Is there anyone out there remembers Rawson Street?

I lived in hobson ave with my sister ann they were the a.b.c. strets anlaby brough cottom driffield and eden

Would the ABC streets be classed as Owlerton?

I have just seen the 1911 census and my grandparents were living on Anlaby St.

My grandfather signed the form and in the address portion put 38 Anlaby St Penistone Rd, Owlerton.

When did the ABC streets disappear?

I lived in hobson ave one street before the abc streets the area from hillfoot bridge to burdalls was alus called the bottom rooad

my grandmothers family came from fawley road (lily lacey ) there was about 10 siblings altogether and my other grandmothers family came from rawson street (alice shaw ) and her maiden name was piercy , i believe the piercys lived on rawson street also ,if anyone remembers these families send me a message sharon

hi Pop T.i remember Softlys farm on borough road we lived near it in burnell rd,our back garden backed onto borough rd right opposite softlys.my mum used to send me to fetch milk and eggs from mrs.Softlys lovely people i seem to remember.that all got pulled down after we left sheffield along with a lot more of our area,just for a b****y road widening scheme.that area was home to us and all our relations since that area was farm land.wish we'd never left.back in the 60s my little brother used to get so ill with his chest doctor Henderson said to my parents leave Sheffield for somewhere with cleaner air,of course nowadays Sheffield air is not as polluted as back then.sorry PopT i went off on one there ,i just wish we were still there.

I can recall Softleys yard as my dad used to clean and brush the horses which were stabled in the far right hand corner of the yard. The horses belonged to Walt West, a rag man who lived on Borough Road, me and my brother used to go to Softleys back door and buy a bottle of orange juice which they normally sold along with milk.

---------- Post added 20-01-2013 at 18:46 ----------

Hello My dad is Malcolm wall and my uncle Stephen & Mick Wall. My nan was Mary and grandad Tommy. If you have any stories about any of them please let me know. We lived on Tanfield road and moved when i was about 5 yrs old. Thanks

I went to school with Mick and Malc and Steve. We were all a gang of mates who played around the area and in the park.

Hi DennisDay

I've often wondered about the old farmhouse that stood next Softley's on Borough Road.

Do you remember anything about the place, I'm sure there was a date above the door.

Love to know anything about this old place, it's funny how your curiosity is aroused as you get older and yet at the time we just walked past the place hundreds of times without taking real notice.

Happy Days! Popt

Hi DennisDay

I've often wondered about the old farmhouse that stood next Softley's on Borough Road.

Do you remember anything about the place, I'm sure there was a date above the door.

Love to know anything about this old place, it's funny how your curiosity is aroused as you get older and yet at the time we just walked past the place hundreds of times without taking real notice.

Happy Days! Popt

I am not sure about the farmhouse but I remember taking the horses for shoeing to Wadsley Bridge, and my dad let me drive the cart with my seaside cowboy hat on.

They were kept in a stable that was once used for the dairy horses.

The Old Houses off Penistone Rd.

When Dad Zakes came out of the RAF during 1959 we as a family took flight and stayed with relatives in Wood Street for several months. We later moved to Hackenthorpe, but I did come back to visit Wood Street on occasion. When we first moved to Wood Street from RAF camp Linholm, near Doncaster I was 5 years old and the things I remember are as follows:-

1. The cobblestoned Wood Street ran down from Langsett Road to Penis tone Road.

2. We lived on the left going down the road at the uneven numbers

3. Every house seemed to have a fanlight directly above it’s front door.

4. Some people’s names:- Cardwell, Allender, Bell, Spensley, Batty, Fletcher, Robinson, Taylor, and a woman called Polly.

5. Wellington Pub (Langsett Rd corner) at the top. One of my cousin’s was acourting with a barmaid called Veronica.

6. We had the only garden (mud patch) in our yard. In the garden stood a tall bird bath made from stone.

7. The yard which had our toilets was surrounded by walls that had glass shards embedded in cement on the top.

8. On Wood Street was a grocery (Lebensmittel) shop called Sanderson half way down on the right. On the same side next to the traffic lights at the top was a spice shop where I got my first ever Walnut Whip, with the nut inside at the bottom. There was a dance school upstairs? On the opposite side of Wood Street near the bottom was a barbers shop and nearby were horses and pigeon lofts. There were other shops but I can’t place them exactly. Sorry.

9. My grandma had a piano and a small telly (momochrome) where I first wetched – Invisible Man, Maverick, No Hiding Place, Tenderfoot, Bronco etc.

10. I remember a bloke on a bicycle getting ran o’er by a car at the top of Wood Street at the traffic lights next to the spice shop. He was taken by ambulance to the Royal Infirmary.

11. My next (half) brother up was mucking about and teasing me when I was trying to concentrate sat on the potty in the living room (outside bogs too cold). He received God’s punishment when he lost his balance and fell arse frst onto the raging coal fire. The ambulance (a different one) also took him to the Infirmary.

Things remembered in the vicinity.

12. Over Penistone Road at Hillfoot Bridge I could see a big gas tank thing, and also a massive wooden hoarding and pasted on it was an advertisement for Younger’s beer.

13. Over the back wall of our yard was Goodison Coal Merchants in Ash Street.

14. Trams on the top road(s) – Infirmary Road and Langsett Road. Can’t remember about Penistone Road.

15. Next to Wellington Pub on Langsett Road was a Bendix and next door a Post Office.

16. In the other direction past the spice shop/dancing school on Infirmary Road, going towards the Kelvin was a tobacconist, an Army Barbers and a gift shop. At the time I thought if you went in the last shop you got a free gift! Kids eh.

17. There was a chip shop on White House Lane – my first chips ever.

18. Near to the bottom of Wood Street were Lime Street to the left, and Thirza Street to the right.

19. Our family doctors surgery was situated atween the Queens Ground Pub and the swimming baths on the left going towards Hillsborough, more or less opposite to the black stoned Burdalls salt place. The door of the Doctor’s had a large etched glass pane with the wooden surround painted black. Inside there was a wonderful smell of wood and floor polish.