The old houses off Penistone rd

Anyone remember the celebrations after WW11 at the bottom of Dutton Rd.

We had a big party in the corner yard ,the yard where Woodhouse and Mrs Yates backed onto.

I seem to remember a bonfire in the middle of Dutton Rd

There were parties in allthe ABC Streets and all had Bonfires,Everyone contributed to the food as rationing went on till about 1950.Some of the members from Hillfoot WMC paraded round the streets in fancie dress and played home made musical intruments.

There were parties in allthe ABC Streets and all had Bonfires,Everyone contributed to the food as rationing went on till about 1950.Some of the members from Hillfoot WMC paraded round the streets in fancie dress and played home made musical intruments.

got out of Fullwood on V.J night, yes and quite a party going on

Vanner wasn't Maskrey's shop on the cotrner of Bastock Road and Penistone more or less opposite Winster Road?

Happy Days PopT

pop t, you are once again correct, it was on the corner of Bastock/Penistone Rd.

Coming down Winster Road where we lived and crossing Penistone Road the first shop was originally Richardsons Pottery shop then Maskery's wet fish shop. The Lawton family lived in this yard.Crossing Bastock Road the Radcliffe family and later the Errats lived in the first yard then the Simmons family in the next yard before you reached the next shop Brays Grocers. Crossing Tanfield Road the corner shop was Charlie Laws Butchers then the Wool shop, Friars Chip shop, Tom the Barber Then I think a Hardware shop. Walking towards Dutton Road the next shop was Fred Musks Newsagents later Fred and Dot Gould then Wainwrights Greengrocers, previously Hopkins. Crossing Dutton Road we came to Worths Greengrocers, Mobile Shop, Cafe etc then Mrs Yates Sweet shop. I hope I have got this right....Happy days Lovely people Best wishes to you all and a Happy New Year.

how do you remember all that info i can only just remember my next door ,next yard was the Monfreddie's ice cream so that not to hard, P.S never smoked pot in my life

Coming down Winster Road where we lived and crossing Penistone Road the first shop was originally Richardsons Pottery shop then Maskery's wet fish shop. The Lawton family lived in this yard.Crossing Bastock Road the Radcliffe family and later the Errats lived in the first yard then the Simmons family in the next yard before you reached the next shop Brays Grocers. Crossing Tanfield Road the corner shop was Charlie Laws Butchers then the Wool shop, Friars Chip shop, Tom the Barber Then I think a Hardware shop. Walking towards Dutton Road the next shop was Fred Musks Newsagents later Fred and Dot Gould then Wainwrights Greengrocers, previously Hopkins. Crossing Dutton Road we came to Worths Greengrocers, Mobile Shop, Cafe etc then Mrs Yates Sweet shop. I hope I have got this right....Happy days Lovely people Best wishes to you all and a Happy New Year.

there used to be a pawn shop on Penistone Rd at Bastock Rd and I think for a while Mrs Yates daughter, Mrs Hill had a shop that sold Ladies hairdressing equipment .This would be about 46/7

Off topic ,Later (early 60s) Mrs Hill was the landlady at a pub at Wadsley Bridge .I think it was called The White Horse

The pawnbrokers was run by a Mr Bownes an 'old friend' of many of the families I knew.

There used to be the traditional old three brass balls sign hanging outside the shop.

Trade was brisk during the times my family lived in Owlerton.

Happy Days?????

how do you remember all that info i can only just remember my next door ,next yard was the Monfreddie's ice cream so that not to hard, P.S never smoked pot in my life

Easy..... I had a big paper round ....we had no telly...not much money.... plenty of fresh air....football in the park and loads of love and happiness. Its hard to forget the pals you had and the area you were brought up in.

Would the ABC streets be classed as Owlerton?

I have just seen the 1911 census and my grandparents were living on Anlaby St.

My grandfather signed the form and in the address portion put 38 Anlaby St Penistone Rd, Owlerton.

When did the ABC streets disappear?

Yes it was Owlerton They were pulled down late 60s early seventies