The old houses off Penistone rd

Does anyone remember the Big Yard or as we called it Glover's Yard?

It was situated on Penistone Road on the city side of Broughton Road.

The first few houses at the bottom of Broughton Road had their back doors opening into this yard.

My Great Uncle Jack Glossop and his wife Marie (Mary) lived there.

Happy days PopT

I do. My dad (Bob McLean) grew up in a house at the bottom of Broughton Road and I remember visiting the yard regularly (in the 50s) when Granddad had moved to live with my uncle in one of the houses on Penistone Road which also backed onto the yard. Didn't realise they called it the Big Yard (or Glover's Yard) but the old photo I have of "Jean in the Big Yard" now makes sense.

One of my earliest memories is of standing at the wall at the entrance to the yard and watching the circus travel along Penistone Road, I assume to the park.

I do. My dad (Bob McLean) grew up in a house at the bottom of Broughton Road and I remember visiting the yard regularly (in the 50s) when Granddad had moved to live with my uncle in one of the houses on Penistone Road which also backed onto the yard. Didn't realise they called it the Big Yard (or Glover's Yard) but the old photo I have of "Jean in the Big Yard" now makes sense.

One of my earliest memories is of standing at the wall at the entrance to the yard and watching the circus travel along Penistone Road, I assume to the park.

i remember the Mcleans too, used to play footie in the park (Ian rings a bell)

My Uncle/Auntie lived on Rawson street. I think it was number 12. It was on the right hand side walking up from Penistone Road. Their name was Auther and Phyllis Gabittas they had quite a few kids. I used to stay with them regular as my mom was in and out of hospital when I was young. Used to have some great fun.

Could u PM me your number or I can send u mine?Thanks.

i remember the Mcleans too, used to play footie in the park (Ian rings a bell)

That would be my cousin. He lived on Lofthouse Road, number 15 if I remember rightly.

just google the area now wouldn't know the place seems to be trees where my house once stood at 511 penistone, rawson is still marked but nothing else streets have been choped and changed with a bunch of new industry allaround

Could u PM me your number or I can send u mine?Thanks.

what do you mean by my number

I weent to the Central Tech with Keith Maclean who lived on Dutton Road a few doors from Kitson's corner shop.

I often wonder how he is and how his life tutned out.

PopT

I weent to the Central Tech with Keith Maclean who lived on Dutton Road a few doors from Kitson's corner shop.

I often wonder how he is and how his life tutned out.

PopT

Keith McLean is a cousin of mine too but unfortunately I don't remember ever meeting him. He would be around 12 years older than me and we lived in Stocksbridge. Must not have been around when we visited Granddad. Maybe he will stop by the forum some time.

Sorry Lushcannon rather not give phone number out on here. You can get in touch by email if you wish

[email protected]

darn it and we was all waiting so we could have long chats on the phone:hihi::hihi::hihi: