The old houses off Penistone rd

So broughgirl we're all MOST kissing cousins lived just around on Penistone rd #511 what yr was u there??

was born there in 48 then moved up to the cross in 57

was born there in 48 then moved up to the cross in 57

left in 46(at10) so a little before your time:):)

left in 46(at10) so a little before your time:):)

PS my brother Allan was still there got killed in a car crash around that time maybe around 60s he would be your age in 57

Does anyone remember the shops along Penistone Road, Widowson's at the bottom of Rawson Street, Fletcher's beer off a little further along and Ketton's at the bottom of the next street, the name of which I can't remember. Also the Easterbrook and Allcard factory where several members of my family worked. Also the 'Raggers' boat race which went under I think Wadsley Bridge which we used to go and watch as kids!

i remember all those shops and remember nieghbours trotting of to the beer off shop with jugs to fill with the beer i also remember easterbrooks as i worked there with some of my family we lived in brough street and my grandparents lived over our back wall on cottem street

PS my brother Allan was still there got killed in a car crash around that time maybe around 60s he would be your age in 57

what was his surname

Does anyone remember the shops along Penistone Road, Widowson's at the bottom of Rawson Street, Fletcher's beer off a little further along and Ketton's at the bottom of the next street, the name of which I can't remember. Also the Easterbrook and Allcard factory where several members of my family worked. Also the 'Raggers' boat race which went under I think Wadsley Bridge which we used to go and watch as kids!

Kettons was at the bottom of Woodgrove Lane and the boat race started at hillfoot bridge:huh:

what was his surname

Clarke, brother stew but don't think he was a Clarke

Clarke, brother stew but don't think he was a Clarke

carlray might remember them Stewart was more his age

Does anyone remember the Lee family who lived in one of those large houses near the top of Broughton Road on the right hand side.

We used to buy Ovoids from there.

Ovoids were round oval blocks which were made from coal dust but much cheaper than coal.

I believe they are now sold as smokeless furel to be used in stoves.

Happy Days! PopT

I live on Broughton Road now and i also know the families that live in those houses. i never knew the history on my road can you guys help me explore it further?

Here's a photo taken on nearby Hobson Avenue

http://www.burtonstreethistory.org.uk/newweb/pages/BrumptonImage4.htm

and one of VE Day on Cottam Street

http://www.burtonstreethistory.org.uk/newweb/pages/DysonImage2.htm

did you know the bradford family in brough street also tried to find photo ve day cottem street but could nt get it on, as my grandparents brammers lived in that street

will translate your message in to dee da sheffieldish If da nooas weer I am da nooas weer da art deesen di cant bi owt rong wi usowd foo aks

thers nowt rong wi us owd uns dave its udders dat dooant no usreight fooaks,naarden oah da gonna tell us if its dee aor no den?