The old houses off Penistone rd

any one remember wards tripe shop bottom of driffield street they also sold cow heel hot black pudding pies and peas thats what you call take away grub not this foreign muck they eyt now

During the war Mrs Ward made her own meat and potatoe pies.Ithink the pie crust was made of just flour and water I have never had anything like them since.We used to take Tizer and Waughs bottles back to her to get the money to go to the Unity cinema at the top of Wood St.We would go in the pit,(the cheapest seats) slip past the pay box and slip the man collecting the tickets 1d.When the film started, some nights all the seats were full and the doorman would then come moving three people on to two seats to make room for the people with tickets.Next door to Wards tripe shop was Thorpes Dairy.We would call in and have a 1d glass of milk on our way back to school after lunch.

any one remember wards tripe shop bottom of driffield street they also sold cow heel hot black pudding pies and peas thats what you call take away grub not this foreign muck they eyt now

My mother made and sold her hot meat & pot pies from our shop at 511 penistone that would be pre 1940 also made our own bread etc etc all from the little Yorkshire Oven,hot brown gravy for the workers looked after the shop, kids,washing (dolly tub )and still had time to fool around with a Irish ice cream vendor from Monfeddie'sno wonder she ran off:(:(:(

I should know you I,m dave brumpton 71yrs young who are you?????

I should know you I,m dave brumpton 71yrs young who are you?????

I remember you although I am four years older than you.I am Ray Colley from Brough St.You would probabley know my step brother Keith Bradford better than me he was more your age.

Can you remember the 7 mile race Sheffield United Walkers held on boxingday mornining from Hillfoot WMC.I won that in 1950 when I was 15 and won it again in 1957 or 1958 Others I remember from Hobson ave were Gordon and Raymond Fieldhouse, Raymond Crooks, Brian Marriot , Raymond Taylor lived on Peniston Rd between Don Firelighters and the Blacksmiths.

I remember you although I am four years older than you.I am Ray Colley from Brough St.You would probabley know my step brother Keith Bradford better than me he was more your age.

Can you remember the 7 mile race Sheffield United Walkers held on boxingday mornining from Hillfoot WMC.I won that in 1950 when I was 15 and won it again in 1957 or 1958 Others I remember from Hobson ave were Gordon and Raymond Fieldhouse, Raymond Crooks, Brian Marriot , Raymond Taylor lived on Peniston Rd between Don Firelighters and the Blacksmiths.

Did they use to walk on what we called Whit Monday? (The Star Walk)

The Starwalk was held on whit tuesday and was nearly 12 miles,it was for novices only (someone who has never won a prize in a race walk) many of the entrants in the Starwalk became international and Olympic Athletes.

Hi i am Malcolm walls daughter - Jayne. I am interested in hearing any stories about my Gran - Mary Wall and any info you may remember about my grandad Tommy Wall...... Thank you

I remember seeing all the walkers come past,pretty sure it was on Penistone road but we could have gone somewhere Easter 1938-39?

I remember seeing all the walkers come past,pretty sure it was on Penistone road but we could have gone somewhere Easter 1938-39?

I don't know about the pre war route,they could have gone on Penistone Road.

After the war it went on Langsett rd Middlewood Road and Leppings Lane.On whit Tuesday.Easter Monday Was the Doncaster to Sheffield Marathon.

I don't know about the pre war route,they could have gone on Penistone Road.

After the war it went on Langsett rd Middlewood Road and Leppings Lane.On whit Tuesday.Easter Monday Was the Doncaster to Sheffield Marathon.

well its been 70 odd yrs so things do get a little hazy, I think they are putting something in the water memory not what it use to be:hihi::hihi::hihi:

katkin

Anlaby, Bamforth and then I think it was Cottam Street.

I agree totally with your comments on the old houses

I often smile when I see some of the smaller modern houses, described as 'bijoux' or 'cottages'.

No bigger than the one's they knocked down, obviously better with hot water etc. but I'm afraid we haven't moved on much.

I'm sure a lot of the old better one's would have made good houses if they had been refurbished to bring them up to modern standards.

The old neighbourhoods had something money can't buy, friendship, community etc.

It makes me sad to see many of our older population homed in flats where they live mostly lonely existance.

I think there is a lot to be learned from looking at the benefits but doing away with bad conditions that existed in our old houses and the way people lived in them.

Maybe we could hear what other forummers have to say about the old areas.

Happy Days![/QUO bamforth street was across penistone road next to high house road i lived in brough street next to anlaby street and my grandparents lived in cottom street happy days

So broughgirl we're all MOST kissing cousins lived just around on Penistone rd #511 what yr was u there??