The old houses off Penistone rd

Does anyone remember No. 999 Penistone Road? when I was a boy in the late 50s a school pal used to claim that his grandfather lived there.

Thomas Evans lived there in 1957, the house was next to the Bridge on the Sheffield side.

Over the river was the Sheffield Wednesday Ground who owned the property at 999 Penistone Road.

If my memory is right I think the house was used as an office for the football club at times?

It was the last house on Penistone Road, over the bridge the road was called Penistone Road North.

Happy Days PopT

Kidorry

Where was Brough Street, I seem to remember the name but cannot figure out where it was?

PopT

Thanks for that PopT, my pal was called Adams so it must have been his mother's father who lived there.

Thomas Evans lived there in 1957, the house was next to the Bridge on the Sheffield side.

Over the river was the Sheffield Wednesday Ground who owned the property at 999 Penistone Road.

If my memory is right I think the house was used as an office for the football club at times?

It was the last house on Penistone Road, over the bridge the road was called Penistone Road North.

Happy Days PopT

I knew the Evans family...eventually, their house fell into the Don and they moved onto Browning Road. Mrs Evans used to run the Owls shop.

I knew the Evans family...eventually, their house fell into the Don and they moved onto Browning Road. Mrs Evans used to run the Owls shop.

Strangely enough, I live closeby!

Strangely enough, I live closeby!

Then my question of the day Is, are or was there a very short st maybe one or two houses on it in that area I'm going back 70 yr's but I think my dads sister(nee Clarke) lived there, her house backed onto the Don & I seem to recall her son (Percy ?) was drown in the Don back of her house:confused::confused:

Kidorry

Where was Brough Street, I seem to remember the name but cannot figure out where it was?

PopT

Opposite the park.

Then my question of the day Is, are or was there a very short st maybe one or two houses on it in that area I'm going back 70 yr's but I think my dads sister(nee Clarke) lived there, her house backed onto the Don & I seem to recall her son (Percy ?) was drown in the Don back of her house:confused::confused:

Sorry Flyer, I meant I now live in the Wadsley Bridge area. But according to an old street guide, There is an Eden Street running off Driffield St, backs onto Don and looks very short.

Sorry Flyer, I meant I now live in the Wadsley Bridge area. But according to an old street guide, There is an Eden Street running off Driffield St, backs onto Don and looks very short.

Doesn't quite sound like it ,maybe it was just an house on Penistone rd with a long lane way to the Don?, the reason it is so well remember ,pre 5yr's old I had to go up with a basket of goodie's(butter ,egg's etc) every two weeks or so,it was pre-war and things were tough allround ,I could walk from 511 nr Bamforth, my mother ran a small shop at 511

Flyer-I'm not too familiar with that general area you refer to (apart from a work colleague living on Cottam St) as I was living off Grammar St at that time, my main memories of P. Rd. was the boat race past Hillfoot Bridge and Styring's glass lens factory (then abandoned) at the bottom of Wood St.

Edited by carosio

Flyer-I'm not too familiar with that general area you refer to (apart from having a work colleague on Cottam St) as I was living off Grammar St at that time, my main memories of P. Rd. was the boat race under Hillfoot Bridge and Styrings glass lens factory (then abandoned) at the bottom of Wood St.

My brother &I was on Wood st watching the bombing the night of the raid we were 8&9 but the fireman soon cleared us off, the whole st was in flame's,but a long time to think back:thumbsup::thumbsup: