The old houses off Penistone rd

I only remeber the shop when it was Goulds in the mid to late 50s, i had a paper round with them

When I was a kid-50's/60's- it was owned by a Mr Musk if I remember correctly.

My grandparents lived on Beulah Road when they were first married, Before moving to Burncross. Sadly they both passed away 3 years back, But they had many stories to tell me from their Hillsbro/owlerton days.

They were Wilf and Betty Smith and had a son called Russell (not sure he was around when they lived on Beulah!!). If anyone knew them i would love to hear from you.

Betty also worked in the Bassets Factory

Cheers,

Paul

When I was a kid-50's/60's- it was owned by a Mr Musk if I remember correctly.

royalregular, you are right it was Musks

Whatever happened to Ron and Beryl who were the landlords of The Victoria Hotel on Penistone Road before the Road Planners decided to knock it down.

Had some happy times in there.

Does anyone else remember the pub?

Happy Days!

I remember it well.....my dad used it regularly. Ron and Beryl (Nash) took the Peacock at Stannington for a while after the Vic. My mum kept in touch with Beryl, so I'll ring her later (she's a late riser!) and get an update.

Hi RoyalRegular

I know they used to live in two atached houses at the top right hand side of Broughton Road but I do not know if they have moved on.

Whatever, they were a great couple and did a lot of good deeds in Owlerton.

Happy Days!

I lived at 17 Rawson Street and my cousins lived at 18 Rawson Street in the 50's?early 6o's. I had an Aunt and Uncle livingin in Anlaby Street and had many friends in what was know as the ABD streets. Is there anyone out there remembers Rawson Street?

Leaving Bamforth &going toward town what are or were the st's called on the left of penistone,and did they also get torn down,just where did this demo start and finish,looking at pic's Sheffield fm what i could see they did a great job ,well done.

I lived at 17 Rawson Street and my cousins lived at 18 Rawson Street in the 50's?early 6o's. I had an Aunt and Uncle livingin in Anlaby Street and had many friends in what was know as the ABD streets. Is there anyone out there remembers Rawson Street?

Here's a photo taken on nearby Hobson Avenue

http://www.burtonstreethistory.org.uk/newweb/pages/BrumptonImage4.htm

and one of VE Day on Cottam Street

http://www.burtonstreethistory.org.uk/newweb/pages/DysonImage2.htm

Whatever happened to Ron and Beryl who were the landlords of The Victoria Hotel on Penistone Road before the Road Planners decided to knock it down.

Had some happy times in there.

Does anyone else remember the pub?

Happy Days!

I remember this pub my sister and i used to go guying outside there on bonfire night waitin for the people to go in and out.we used to get a big jar full of coppers from that pub alone.... i remember asking for a penny for the guy and they'd give us 5p or something and i always would then say "its my birthday today"...(which it was) hoping that they might chuck in a few more pence.

Thinking about it now i must have been around 6 or 7 at the time my sister 8 or 9.....what was our parents thinking letting us go guying outside a pub across the rd at these ages????

My mum also used to send me to the jolly friar chippy in hillsboro too, i knew it was late in the evening because i had to climb over the park gates cos it was much quicker than going the other way! You just wouldn't dream of it these days would you???

Snookums

I think you will find they were referred to as the ABC Streets as they were named

Anlaby, Brough, Cottam and Driffield Street.

Happy Days!

Does anyone remember the shops along Penistone Road, Widowson's at the bottom of Rawson Street, Fletcher's beer off a little further along and Ketton's at the bottom of the next street, the name of which I can't remember. Also the Easterbrook and Allcard factory where several members of my family worked. Also the 'Raggers' boat race which went under I think Wadsley Bridge which we used to go and watch as kids!