New City Living Apartments in Sheffield

In reply to Vicor Meldrew

1. These apartments are not built as a family home. People who live here are singles or couples who work/study/go out/ eat etc in the city - so why live in teh suburbs when you spend most of your time in the city - its convienient to live in the centre of the action

2. i Certainly dont here as you say "bedroom noises" in my apartment

3. Its not a CRAZE - people have been living in the city centre for ages its just that in sheffield the option was to live about a shop or bar - now there are purpose built complexes to live in.

4. So what if people think that living in these places because they think its a status symbol - people live in nce expensive suburbs because its a status symbol to say you live in the most expensive/best suburb - its the same as that

5. you can evict in these places to actually if you have a reasonable ground to complain - its in the contract

6. i dont think its fair to say we should be Ghettoised' with less space to keep clean - does that mean people who live in coucil flats have been ghettoised because they cant afford to buy a house?? both council flats and private flats provide a large number of people accomodation. so why say that new apartments are bad when the coucil have provided them for years

7. Not everyone who lives here is as you say old, gay, celibate or infertile, we're just young people who enjoy this life style thank - you

8. In our apartment the service charge includes services such as window cleaning, upkeep of garden/communial areas/ consierge service, 24 hour security - so its not a complate waste of money

When I said I prefer suburbs to city centre living, Crookes and Broomhill aren't what I had in mind. The student zones are nearly as bad as the city centre areas for noise and litter, etc. I prefer the suburbs on the outskirts by far, such as Fulwood, Ecclesall, Dore, Totley, Millhouses, Beauchief, Whirlow, etc.

Originally posted by kittykat surprise surprise
City Centre, Fulwood, Ecclesall, Dore, Totley, Millhouses, Beauchief, Whirlow... No give me Rotherham every time ;)

Originally posted by geoffbowen

People will always live "in a city's centre" whether it's in so called luxury flats or more not. You are very unlikely to have a city centre which has zero accommodation. Sheffield was peculiar in the fact it didn't offer much city centre accomodation - the fact we now have them isn't based on a fashion, but more on the fact that Sheffield is evolving.

I have a friend who lives in the centre of London in a block of "luxury" flats built in Victorian times - I guess the "fashion cycle" must be very long. City centre living is a way of life, not a fashion.

Of course people are planning to move! City centre living isn't sold on the idea it's a good place to raise a family! What a strange criticism to choose, when no-one else even considered it!

Yes people have always lived in cities but the "City Living" phenomenon is something different. It is a marketing "lifestyle" package and it just stinks of hype to me. For some people, living in the city centre is a good decision but just as with living in any other area they need to be making long term judgements about the future value of their investment. I think the "City Living" packages are small, low grade units with an intrinsic value substantially less than the sale price which is inflated by superficial impressions of "luxury".

Yes there are good substantial Victorian blocks of flats in London - but it's hardly realistic to compare London with Sheffield - for example you could find that kind of flat in Maida Vale or round the corner from Harrods - still half an hour or more commute to a workplace in Docklands. Very little if you go to what most of us would regard as the centre - i.e. "the square mile" or Trafalgar Square. And you will find schools in inner London (Tony has found the London Oratory I believe).

And we aren't talking about substantial Victorian blocks in Sheffield we are talking about plasterboard fashion interiors behind a recovered industrial frontage or a recent system-built block.

What a strange criticism to choose, when no-one else even considered it!
What a strange response. Do you mean that once a thread has started you don't expect anyone to raise any new considerations? - yes great let's just all respond to everything with "me too" or "I disagree" (Costessy already seems to have adopted that stance) let's not waste time with facts or arguements lets all just affirm our prejudices.

Of course those flogging these flats are going to play-down a disadvantage, does that mean we should join the conspiracy? Look for a house in Ecclesall and see if they fail to mention school catchment - even if you're an impotent gay 70 year old they want you to know it adds to the value of the house.

We might not find out whether these flats will hold their value for 5, 10, 15 years and in the meantime everyone will just have to make their own judgement. I'm in no doubt about mine, surely a forum like this is intended to share different opinions. I don't expect anyone to blindly agree with any individual view but to take on board all the arguements and make their own decisions.

Of course I expect anyone who has made the decision to live there to be defensive of it. When someone suggests they've been conned they're hardly going to agree, of course they will down-play the disadvantages and make the most of the advantages, they don't want to see their investment go west. I'm sure battery chickens are grateful for the fact that they don't have to run around the farmyard scavenging for food and water, avoiding the tractor and the fox, they are much better off with food and drink delivered inches from their beaks in a nice secure cage to protect them from the outside world.

I'm all in favour of being optimistic and making the best of what you've got and I feel genuinely sorry for those who have elected for high-price "City Living" flats if my analysis is right, I hope for their sakes I am wrong.

V Meldrew.

I have bought an apartment in West One because I think it is a good investment. Other people might have other ideas. Supporting my view of a city centre apartment as a good investment is the track record of valuations in other cities Leeds, Glasgow, London etc. etc. I am not alone in this view as all the major Building Societies are also investing heavily in city centre apartments. I see no reason at all why Sheffield should be different to other cities.

Whether you want to live in the city is a personal decision but I have found some of the negative comments on this thread laughable.

I remember back in 1978 I went for a mortgage of £24K for a five bedroomed detached on Fulwood Road and people told me I was silly to pay so much for a house and that the overpriced housing market was due to crash, it appears that some of the same housing experts exist today.

elected for high-price "City Living" flats if my analysis is right, I hope for their sakes I am wrong.

just a note - i share one with my boyfriend and we pay less per week than friends of ours sharing a house on Ecclesall road - so they are not that expensive really! so on that note why pay more to live in a shared house when we have our own space for cheaper!:lol:

When I said I prefer suburbs to city centre living, Crookes and Broomhill aren't what I had in mind. The student zones are nearly as bad as the city centre areas for noise and litter, etc. I prefer the suburbs on the outskirts by far, such as Fulwood, Ecclesall, Dore, Totley, Millhouses, Beauchief, Whirlow, etc.

you might to live in these areas - but young people want to be around young people - not living in an family area where people are "keeping up with the jones's" and where the people discuss school runs, coffee mornings, latest development in baby formulas and the latest child care centre openings!

But when i get to the age of marriage and kids then yeah i would move out to the suburbs but at the moment its not my idea of the perfect location to live - city centre suits my needs at the moment - i'm not disagreeing that its a bad life style but not the one to choose at this stage in life!!!

Originally posted by victor_meldrew

I'm all in favour of being optimistic and making the best of what you've got and I feel genuinely sorry for those who have elected for high-price "City Living" flats if my analysis is right, I hope for their sakes I am wrong.

I read in today's paper of the pressure on the housing market from the number of immigrants/asylum seekers so maybe these flats will hold their value. (On the other hand the paper was also speculating on when the house price decreases in the South will reach the North). Pity the poor student emerging into the job market with a worthless degree, £20K student debts and house prices so high they need earn so much they'll be in the 40% tax band before they can afford a mortgage on any kind of property.

Apparently the government are saying their is a shortfall by 4million homes for first time buyers. So I expect that the housing boom will continue for a while yet!

Originally posted by robh

I read in today's paper of the pressure on the housing market from the number of immigrants/asylum seekers so maybe these flats will hold their value. (On the other hand the paper was also speculating on when the house price decreases in the South will reach the North). Pity the poor student emerging into the job market with a worthless degree, £20K student debts and house prices so high they need earn so much they'll be in the 40% tax band before they can afford a mortgage on any kind of property.

The number of asylum seekers makes sod-all differerence to the housing market. The number in sheffield is very small as a percentage of the popilation, so small that it wouldn't make a jot of difference. Asylum seekers are housed mainly in poorer areas which wouldn't force the entire market upward.

The house prices in the South are motivated by different factors than the north. Although the purchase market down south has weakened (not in all areas though) the rental market is extremely strong. Until such time as people stop living in houses or the number of houses on the market exceeds the number of buyers the housing market will remain a good long term investment.

As for students bleating about house prices - they are actually cheaper now then they ever have been. If you take the cost of a house 30 years ago and divide it by the average annual wage at that time and then do the same now you will find that houses are much more affordable now.

Example:

1970 - Terraced House £8000 weekly wage £10.00 = 800 weeks

2003 - Terraced House £80000 weekly wage £300 = 266 weeks

If you consider the cost and ease of borrowing money now, any student that can't figure out how to buy a house is too bl++dy thick to be educated in the first place.

Well thats my Kent Brockman two cents worth.

Originally posted by robh

City Centre, Fulwood, Ecclesall, Dore, Totley, Millhouses, Beauchief, Whirlow... No give me Rotherham every time ;)

Id rather be in rotherham and be able to afford more stuff than live in a stuck up suburb, houses in which you could probably find exact replicas of in rotherham.. just cos people THINK its prestigious.

Id only live in the stuck up areas of sheffield if i found a nice, reasonably priced house there, similarly id live in rotherham if i found a nice, reasonably priced house there.

Snobbery gets people nowhere in my book - except on my nerves