New City Living Apartments in Sheffield

I was wondering what everyone thought of all the new 'luxury' apartments popping up in and around the town centre, e.g. bottom of ecclesall road, west street, shoreham street, etc. I personally think that giving them the title 'luxury' and installing flash fitted kitchens is a marketing ploy to be able to charge the £100k+ prices they charge for what essentially are small flats in an industrial city's centre. What does everyone else think?

I think it's pretty cool, brings more investment into the city and no one's forcing you to pay for an overpriced apartment if ya don't want to :shock:

The apartments make living in the city centre more desirable which has a positive knock on effect all round.

Maybe they're not everyone's idea of 'luxury' but for first time buyers I would expect they'll be quite luxurious inside :)

i wouldnt want one personally, id rather have a house for the money

I think it's all too late. City centre living was the 'in thing' about four or five years ago.

It's ok if you have a 24 hour city that is worth living in but i'd sooner have a bigger house in the suburbs.

Rather have a house myself, but I can see the attraction of living right in the middle of things. Wasn't the "penthouse" flat at the bottom of Eccy Rd about £375k ?

I think some of them will be a city flat for the very wealthy who already have a house elsewhere.

Yes may be some rich business man buys one for clients to stay overnight, that would be cool.

The West Street development at the moment is trendy but it won,t last.

Someone mentioned that its ok if the city centre is worth living in but clearly ours is,nt though with plans to regenarate it then maybe its not a bad idea, Its not for me personally but its a good thing for the town centre.

My worry would be in 20 years time trying to sell them when the trends no longer there, would they become a glorified Townhead street.

Well i live currently in the development on Leadmill street and i am looking to move in to another similar apartment (probably the ones on ecclesall road). I got in to the whole city center living thing in America. For my lifestyle it's great. Pubs, clubs and good restaurants are all a walk away. I think they are expensive for what you get, and mostly they do use bathrooms and kitchens as selling points. They are small, have no garden and usually you have to pay a maintenance fee. They can be noisy, where we are now we have students and the traffic on shoreham street to contend with. The ones on Ecclesall road are even smaller, but they do have balcony's. But you get loads of noise and pollution from ecclesall road. It's worth noting the apartment we live is went on sale for £67K and is now worth just over 100K. So there is a decent market.

But i love it. Although i would like a garden, i also like the benefits it buys me. I don't have to drive anywhere near as much, i save on Taxis and you just feel like you know what's going on as far as nightlife is concerned.

Inner city living is FAR from four or five year old news! Every major city has seen a huge uptake in city center living. Sheffield will change for the better because of it. Right now many pubs don't open on weekends before the evening session, lots of shops are shut on a Sunday. But that will change as the management realise there are people living there. One example is the Red Lion near me. Nice pub, small outside area. But it's not open on a Saturday or Sunday during the day! I see people walking to the door realising it isn't open an walking away all the time, they haven't adapted very quickly.

Anyway this country constantly has problems with traffic and lack of houses. City center living is the answer to both IMHO. We need to build up, not out. Living close to work and being able to walk to nightlife etc appeals to some people (like me), so give them small over priced apartments if they are willing to pay, because they are doing everybody else a favor.

Originally posted by "back2basics"

Inner city living is FAR from four or five year old news! Every major city has seen a huge uptake in city center living. Sheffield will change for the better because of it. Right now many pubs don't open on weekends before the evening session, lots of shops are shut on a Sunday. But that will change as the management realise there are people living there. One example is the Red Lion near me. Nice pub, small outside area. But it's not open on a Saturday or Sunday during the day! I see people walking to the door realising it isn't open an walking away all the time, they haven't adapted very quickly..

Cities such as Manchester and London have had city centre living for many years. It seems only a recent thing that Sheffield has decided to jump on the bandwagon.

This city is dead on a Sunday and I don't think people living in the centre will change that.

Originally posted by "alchresearch"

Cities such as Manchester and London have had city centre living for many years. It seems only a recent thing that Sheffield has decided to jump on the bandwagon.

This city is dead on a Sunday and I don't think people living in the centre will change that.

They have in in every case (and Leeds now) more money has been brought in, shops are now open longer on weekends. People living in the center want corner shops and they want pubs open. I don't think business owners in Sheffield are that stupid they would pass up money. Not sure why you think they would. Also traffic is reduced at peak times, we have more accommodation taking up less space. City center living is very positive.

I live in a city centre apartment and I LIKE the city being dead on a Sunday. Just moved up from London where Sunday is like Saturday is like Friday is like Thursday.

It's great to stroll around & chill on a Sunday. That's how things used to be in London, but now has got ridiculous. You can still have a vibrant economy without everything being open on a Sunday (people will just have to remember to shop on a Saturday).

Also part of the reason for Sunday the opening of everything in London at least is because people work so hard - 8am to 9pm is not uncommon (plus the 30min/1hour commute either side). Then to unwind, people go out & get wasted, and so are a bit hungover and disorganised on a Saturday, leaving only Sunday to shop for stuff.

So I agree with Alchresearch, city centre living does not equal Sunday opening of everything. When people are working so hard here that they NEED Sunday opening then perhaps yes. [End of Essay!]

There's always Meadowhall if they NEED Sunday opening E-Man... so problems solved all the way round eh!

I don't think Meadowhall is the answer to Sunday shopping.

I live quite near the Trafford Centre in Manchester but wouldn't be seen dead there. Granted, it is clean, safe, dry, warm and impressive, but I would much rather drive the same distance into Manchester city centre, drive right into the heart of the city, park up for free on any of it's streets and casually drift around the town looking at shops, sitting outside a café or bar with a beer and listening to some rather excellent buskers.

Sheffield city centre needs to reclaim what Meadowhall has taken away from it and they must be prepared to open on a sunday to encourage visitors and tourists from other towns. Perhaps the time isn't right yet because of the mess the city is in.