Baby swallowed 10p! what to do?

A paper clip is not the diameter of a 10p piece! :loopy:

i agree it is not...but if we have established that the child is not choaking on the money then it is just a case of it being sat there in the tummy...like mine one. i do apologise for drawing on my own experience here...next time i shall try not to bother Shoeshine

hi, need advice quick as my 18month old monster has swallowed 10p in a little act of defiance. cant get through to nshdirect and their internet thing isnt working.. my auntie says that they dont do anything in the hospital but tell you to wait so dont know whether to go or not... any advice what is the best course of action would be greatly appreciated. she seems fine btw. thanks

I swallowed a Nurse's cap off a Playmobil figure when I was little, it came out when I had a poo iirc :gag:

That could work with your little 'un.

i agree it is not...but if we have established that the child is not choaking on the money then it is just a case of it being sat there in the tummy...like mine one. i do apologise for drawing on my own experience here...next time i shall try not to bother Shoeshine

Good idea!:)

I swallowed a Nurse's cap off a Playmobil figure when I was little, it came out when I had a poo iirc :gag:

Are you sure it came out, Rich? :hihi:

Are you sure it came out, Rich? :hihi:

Oh be quiet you... :P

I gently disagree, kelli, ducks.

the coin may not have moved down entirely into baby SIB's stomach, it could be still stuck in the food pipe.

An X ray will tell SIH if SIB has swallowed it completely. Taking SIB to the children's, and getting her checked out, is the best thing she can do.

if it is stuck it could cause an infection in the oesophagus, (food pipe) best to be safe than sorry.

SIH, hope Satan In Booties is okay. please keep us posted.

From 'tinternet:

Ingested foreign bodies

A frequent problem in the six-months to three-years age group is the swallowing of various objects, particularly coins. However, up to 90 per cent of all ingested foreign bodies that reach the stomach will pass spontaneously - usually within a five-day period. In these situations it's best to wait and then inspect all bowel movements.

Even sharp objects such as safety pins or straight pins may pass through the bowel spontaneously without any complications, but such objects can be removed surgically if they remain in the upper part of the gut.

If a fish bone is stuck in a child's throat, and does not clear after an hour, you should consult a doctor. Sometimes, even when the bone moves, it leaves an uncomfortable scratch for a while which will seem to the child that it is still present. Opaque objects, such as coins, are accurately localised and observed with X-rays.

Oh be quiet you... :P

I promose I will Rich, so you saw it in.............:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

From 'tinternet:

Ingested foreign bodies

A frequent problem in the six-months to three-years age group is the swallowing of various objects, particularly coins. However, up to 90 per cent of all ingested foreign bodies that reach the stomach will pass spontaneously - usually within a five-day period. In these situations it's best to wait and then inspect all bowel movements.

Even sharp objects such as safety pins or straight pins may pass through the bowel spontaneously without any complications, but such objects can be removed surgically if they remain in the upper part of the gut.

If a fish bone is stuck in a child's throat, and does not clear after an hour, you should consult a doctor. Sometimes, even when the bone moves, it leaves an uncomfortable scratch for a while which will seem to the child that it is still present. Opaque objects, such as coins, are accurately localised and observed with X-rays.

Just like I said, give it a few days and the coin may end up as part of the contents of SIB's nappy.

I gently disagree, kelli, ducks.

the coin may not have moved down entirely into baby SIB's stomach, it could be still stuck in the food pipe.

An X ray will tell SIH if SIB has swallowed it completely. Taking SIB to the children's, and getting her checked out, is the best thing she can do.

if it is stuck it could cause an infection in the oesophagus, (food pipe) best to be safe than sorry.

SIH, hope Satan In Booties is okay. please keep us posted.

i do agree to some degree there, but at least your not deciding to treat me like an imbosile like some people :)

Just like I said, give it a few days and the coin may end up as part of the contents of SIB's nappy.

If it did, and no harms is done, you can have it plated and put in a necklace. I wonder if Rich has still got his memento...?

:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

(I really am only joking Rich and not extracting the urine.):hihi::thumbsup:

Do you think there's any connection with your recent intestinal problems, Rich?

*Gets coat*