Sheffield city living: Are they the tenements of tomorrow? (& other scenarios)

The reason there is increasing demand for housing with only a slowly rising population?

not wanting to get off topic, but this is not true. The population is growing quite fast and this trend is expected to continue.

Cyclone,

I assume you are not familiar with the Velocity development or City Lofts, or Sinclairs or Pinstone Chambers... Much of the development to date has effectively been doing the ground work for more prestigious projects. Take a look around some of these flats (and don't just listen to those who bang on about the poor quality of West One) and you may be surprised by the attention to detail and quality of fittings. Try visiting the City Lofts marketing suite and then tell me the quality is not high.

Also, much of the property in places like Pimlico is actually ex-council housing built with their predictably limited palettes. Size and finishing is not always the most important factor. Remember the estate agent's maxim...

M

you would think that more city centre living will ease the traffic situation. surely more and more people will be walking to work rather than driving into the city centre.

one positive if there is any truth in statement.

Something that Kensington and Manhattan have in common with the high rise high density housing is that the quality is high.

This won't be/isn't the case with the city centre apartments being built in sheffield. The quality is at best middling, and at worst poor.

I must disagree, i have lived in 2 and also been in many many of these flats and i would say that the quality is very good!!

Those flats are poky and built like Travelodges but for yuppies they're pretty awesome. Wouldn't want to have one of them as my family home though.

The odd thing is that the council flats in the blocks like those near the university are spacious, solidly built (concrete being a much better sound insulator than plasterboard), cheap and often in very convenient locations (as proved by the private blocks being built alongside the council ones at the bottom of London Road), but no-one wanted to live in them. So the council demolished them, how much money could the council have made by sticking some cheap steel cladding on and reselling them, millions ?

Those flats are poky and built like Travelodges but for yuppies they're pretty awesome. Wouldn't want to have one of them as my family home though.

pokey and built like travelodges? have you actually been in them?

My current flat has 2 mezzanine floors on it with fantastic views and my old flat had 20 foot high floor-to-ceiling windows and a huge roof terrace- i wish all travelodges were like that!!!

Nick2,

I think the message still isn't sinking in. Perhaps if such council blocks had a mixed population of housing association and private tenants then social problems would be less likely to develop. Its all about the people.

M

not wanting to get off topic, but this is not true. The population is growing quite fast and this trend is expected to continue.

I've just finished a university module on this and the figures show the opposite, which is why there is a big deal about pensions at the moment.

There is a population decline because people just aren't doing the marriage and kids thing. For one, people cannot afford kids, and so are buying smaller places and having kids later in life.

I've just finished a university module on this and the figures show the opposite, which is why there is a big deal about pensions at the moment.

There is a population decline because people just aren't doing the marriage and kids thing. For one, people cannot afford kids, and so are buying smaller places and having kids later in life.

Ah but are you talking about people born here? i think he may have been taking into account the growing immagrent population in england which is increasing the population at an alarming rate.

Yes, if you include net immigration the population is rising. Info about that is all here http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?ID=950

The immigration increase provided mainly younger people, as against an increasingly aging non-immigrant population. As has been pointed out in an earlier post, many people are remaining childless out of choice, or are delaying having children for economic and career reasons.

I wonder why people can't afford kids? Might it be something to do with buying a small overpriced flat with a large mortgage as a first time buyer, then being unable to move "up the ladder" to a house to start a family.

Anyway all the headlines today are talking about a property crash in the next couple of years. The unsustainable so called "good times" are at an end. Especially outside of London.