Explorers Pathfinders, CYFA

Back in early 70,s a Vicar called Rev Whitehead started a club called Explorers linked in with the church at Owlerton. I remember him standing outside the school gates at Morley St Scool handing out leaflets to the boys and girls for a meeting at the Memorial Hall Thorsbey Road Hilsborough on Thursdays at 5.30 pm.

When that day came , there must have been around 250 - 300 boys and girls waitint to get in. I could only assume that he must have gone to other schools and done the same thing.

This was a fantastic way of getting children from other schools to meet and have fun, make friends etc, etc and IT WORKED. The only stipulation was that you had to attend a Sunday school to ensure your entrance on Thursdays. He ALWAYS kept a record on Sundays of who came and who did not; and if they turned up on Thursdays, not attending at least 2 Sundays in the month, they got turned away, no other reason given. the entrance was 2 and a half pence, drinks, 3pence with crisp, chocolates and other stuff. The games and activities were absolutely brilliant.

Swimming, world cup football, murderball, table tennis, snooker, pool and the legendary WIDEGAMES including BLIND-DROP.

Did anyone go there during the 1970's - 1980's?

I went to St Johns then and remember those groups. Pathfinders went on a yearly camp to Criccieth in wales to meet up with other church youth groups. My older brother went several times. Did you know Malcom Drew? He was one of the leaders then.

I went to St Johns then and remember those groups. Pathfinders went on a yearly camp to Criccieth in wales to meet up with other church youth groups. My older brother went several times. Did you know Malcom Drew? He was one of the leaders then.

PM please ;)

Rev. Christopher Whitehead was my dad, and he died on Monday.  I found your message a couple of years ago and forwarded it to my mum who was very touched by your words. Unfortunately Dad was too ill by then to have understood. I kept meaning to reply and am so sorry that I didn’t. As far as I know Malc is still going and I am hoping he might be at Dad’s funeral. I last saw him around seven years ago.

My favourite game at Explorers and Pathys involved a shoe on the end of a rope, swung in a circle. Anyone failing to jump it would go flying!

Happy Memories.