Sign in to follow this  

Absent freeholder - estate of George Sivil

Hi,

I'm selling my house at the moment and there is a bit of a hold up as the freeholder for the land my leasehold property is on is not known.

On the original lease (dated way back in 1887) George Sivil is the party to it but I'm unable to trace him or his estate - does anyone recognise the name or know who might be able to be assist?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to move house as soon as possible and this seems to be the only thing holding it up :help:

Leaseholds are often sold and it is extremely unlikely that George Sivil's estate still own the Leasehold title.

I suggest you post the name of your road (not the house number though for security) as someone might live locally and have the same Ground Landlord.

Our leasehold is held at an estate agents in Sheffield. We pay them the money for several houses on our road as we are the "primary" home. Bit bizarre, we have to knock on everyones doors and collect 1 quid of them each year!

Have you checked all your paperwork for any clues?

Thanks for that - road is South View Crescent.

Yep, we've had all the paperwork out and looked at the original lease, contacted neighbours, certain agents and solicitors that people have suggested may be able to assist but still no luck. It's a nightmare unfortunately, especially as the two previous owners have in the past tried to locate the freeholder too. Unfortunately the solicitor on the other side just won't accept that so I'm trying whatever else I can!

I'm assuming you've been to land registry too?

Yes, no luck there either!

I've now managed to find out the George Sivil may be linked to JW Sivil Ltd so trying to get hold of them now.

Not sure if LEASE could give you any more suggestions.

They are an advice agency for people who are leaseholders - their tel no is 0845 345 1993 and they are open Mon-Fri 9.30-3.30am.

Good luck!

Thanks for all your help - they've been located and hopefully will get to move soon now!

Hey sarahn! Bit of a long shot as this is a v old thread now but basically i'm buying a house on Empire rd - we've just found out the freehold is not registered and so we're heading down absent landlord territory. Sivil is named as a party to the Lease, so wondering if it is could be the same landlord as yours?  Would be very grateful if you, or anyone else in the area, had any suggestions on where to start tracing them (we're doing the sols job for them as they are useless). 

Thanks!

Edited by Annie60

That user hasn't been on this forum in over 5 years, not very likely you'll get a reply from them.